Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gilleshk
  • 1 Post By pandancake

Southside of Hong Kong?

Closed Thread

Southside of Hong Kong?

Hi All:
    Me, my husband and our 9 year old daughter are looking to relocate to Hong Kong. Any advice suggestions on where to live? I have heard the south side ( stanley? repulse bay?) are good areas for families to live? What is the commute in to central like from these areas? And do you get more space for your money in terms of apartment size?
    Thank you

more space for your money???? southside is VERY, VERY, VERY expensive.

you give no inkling of the following very important considerations:
    1) budget
    2) size requirements
    3) number of bedrooms
    4) facilities required, if any?
    5) parking required if any?
    6) will you be relying on public transport or buying a car? public transport in hk is cheap and extremely efficient, with the vast majority of the population depending upon it.
    7) where will your child go to school?
    8) how do you and your family like to spend your "days off"?

If Central was Manhattan, the South Side would be Long Island: fancy homes are NOT cheap. There are cheaper homes in the southside, but I don't think they're what you're looking for.

We are looking for ideally a three bedroom two bath,
    about 1250 sq feet or more,
    budget HK $35 000 - 45 000,
    Facilities: gym, pool would be nice
    School: we are uncertain at the moment...keen on Kellet, HKIS, German Swiss and French International although waiting for a spot. Also would look at ESF schools.

Please advise what areas we should be looking at? Also we are unsure of whether we should get a car...how much does a mid size car cost to lease or buy? Coming from Manhattan we are very comfortable with public transport

Buy Property in Hong Kong | Hong Kong Homes for Sales and Rent | GoHome
    Buy Property in Hong Kong | Hong Kong Homes for Sales and Rent | GoHome

Here's an example of what you might find in Stanley and Repulse Bay. Ap Lei Chau, Pok Fu Lam and Kennedy Town would be much cheaper and closer to Kellett and ESF, still on the South Side and reasonably popular with expat. Facilities, you might want to consider a club like the American Club, good place to meet people and lots of recreational activities for kids and adults.

Cars are cheap, I know more than a few that had a car given to them by friends leaving, km tend to be low since there's nowhere to go. You can check expat sites for prices. The problem lies with parking, it can be 2-3K per month at home and at work especially on the island and the time you waste finding spaces and asking to where you are going. A taxi ride from Stanley to Central would be around $100HKD so potentially, even if you took a cab every day to go to work, it would probably be cheaper than a car unless you have parking provided.
    shri and pandancake like this.

Try Larvotto in Ap Lei Chau. We too relocated to HK from Manhattan and though we lived in the Mid-Levels initially, we just moved to Larvotto in Ap Lei Chau and couldn't be happier. It's a great development with fantastic facilities.

rani likes this.