Like Tree3Likes

concerns about schooling, please help

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi, sorry yes budget is 30k-50k inclusive so hopefully find something in Pokfulam/Aberdeen/Repulse. Preschools seem to be ok, its just the whole Primary school thing....

Your budget is a bit tight for south side. You should also consider Quarry Bay, North Point, Tin Hau, CWB.

All of them are 1 fast minibus ride away from Aberdeen and all of them are close to very large number of schools, parks and all kinds of facilities as well as the thick of the city.

Last edited by HowardCoombs; 16-08-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amandagrange:
    Hi, sorry yes budget is 30k-50k inclusive so hopefully find something in Pokfulam/Aberdeen/Repulse. Preschools seem to be ok, its just the whole Primary school thing....
    50k is ok for Pokfulam (and Aberdeen obviously), it's tight for repulse bay and co.

50k will get you a nice 1000 sq ft apartment in happy valley.

Quote Originally Posted by amandagrange:
    Thanks elliee for your really helpful comments, we know a couple here who used to live in DB but we really feel thats not for us so great to have positive comments on Repulse etc. Our budget is 30K-50K inclusive so will keep looking at perhaps Aberdeen and Pokfulam, plus there seem to be lots of pre-schools in Pokfulam. THanks again for your time.
    Happy to be a little help. Any more questions, feel free to ask, or send me a private message on here for my regular email address. I have a 2 year old, have been in HK some time and can help connect you to things like the HK moms Facebook page, and other local resources for expat mothes which can be very useful.

THanks for the advice, we'll keep looking.

Looking at the pre-schools, can anyone recommend the Woodlands Aberdeen/Repulse or the Tutor Time/Tai Tam or both these school groups in general. They have both been very helpful and replied very promplty, just would nice if anyone knew a bit more first hand about them. I have to make a decision from this end so the kids can start fairly soon after we get there as I will be working part time quite soon after we arrive.

Our son went to Woodlands, Tai Tam for one term when we arrived in Hong Kong. He was 5 and had previously had a term in our local primary school in the UK. He had fun and was a good option before a place came up at an ESF school.

We lived on the north of the island and he used the school bus which ran from Tai Koo via Sai Wan Ho, Skek O, then to Red Hill.

pm me if you want more info. Sai Wan Ho is a great place to live, with easy cheap, reliable public transport to all of the island.

also have a look at Bel Air in Cyberport. You should be able to find a flat within your budget and there are plenty of kids there. It's only 10 mins from Aberdeen.

both tutor time and woodlands are very popular with the expat crowd in hk.

Aberdeen area is nice, Ap Lei Chau (five minutes from Aberdeen) is coming along very nicely (plus a very large community of young families there so the whole place is quite kid friendly).

My advice is to not pigeon-hole yourself in expat havens. You're going to be an expat no matter where you choose to live, no need to isolate yourself from the rest of HK.

Try Happy Valley: really great atmosphere and cozy small town feel.

and Kennedy Town: an area that is quickly becoming popular but is still reasonably priced.

Both of those suggestions will give your hubby an easy commute to Aberdeen, and you and your kids will have easy access to anywhere in HK (including visits to all the expat havens)

Good luck!