help us find jobs and visa and sponsors!!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

In theory you could fork up about 22k and start a company if you have that kind of money, and apply for an investment visa.
    But that can be tricky as well.
    Or get married to a local :P but thats kind of out of the question also i guess....and im not offering to marry you just so we are clear on that hehehe.
    Which also would be meaningless since im not a local...man i need to sleep.....

I am not sure what you heard about Hong Kong before, but nowadays it is actually not easy to find acceptable jobs, especially if don't speak and read Chinese, have limited working experience, and expect a salary far above the level of locals.

The main exception are people who get transfered to Hong Kong and work in the upper management of multi-nationals/finance/banking. They usually get the best deals, and Chinese skills are not essential for such jobs.

I agree with the other poster who suggested to come here for a while first to look around. Also, check the various online job classifieds to get a feeling what it takes to become competitive. Most local employers post the following three minimum requirements in advertisements: University degree, work experience, fluency in Cantonese, English and Mandarin. (But not many people in Hong Kong are truly fluent in all three languages, so this requirement is quite flexible and often basic English and Mandarin skills are enough).

To obtain an employment visa you need to find an employer to sponsor you, and that employer must be able to show immigration that you have a skill that is not available in the local market. (The types of jobs that qualify for working visas generally require a lot of education or experience.) From what you have told us, teaching English (or music in your BF case) seems like one of only things that you may be able to do in HK that would qualify you for a visa, and you would need to obtain teaching qualifications before you can even do that. However, salaries are not generally high for new teachers.

You can forget about being a TV presenter, shop employee or middle management here for several reasons. There are plenty of them in HK and you (I'm assuming) don't speak Cantonese. If you really want to move to HK you should re-examine your salary expectations, and look closely at what types of jobs would even qualify you for a working visa. There are plenty of other discussions about that on this site.