Like Tree18Likes

Monthly budget: Did I forgot anything?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

"Food" is cheaper here than UK. I put it in quotes for the following reason:

If you try to eat same/similar - then yes, you will pay a lot more for imported as well as relatively expensive ingredients.

However, if you compare a typical local family food budget to a typical UK/EU/Aus family food budget, you will find local is a lot cheaper. Locals eat a lot less meat, a lot more rice and a ton more veg.

If you want cheap - eat like locals (or Asians in general) do.

Original Post Deleted
    No question, LOL.

You really are funny with your statements as if you hold the truth, the only truth.

I buy fruits/Veggies here that are much cheaper than in Europe, noodles too, rice too, hot pot beef and all also, fish also...

The only items for which I pay more are milk, cheese (but then again that is western) and wine.

I guess we just don't eat the same thing, that's all.

HC, exactly - comapre local english family vs local HK family, not a brit married to a japanese living in HK vs an english family living in england....
    Last edited by Mat; 27-08-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    chingleutsch and SiuMaiTaiTai like this.

You should also put a tought or two to your opportunity cost. How much less do you save here and is the move good in terms of career

Dear OP, bottom line is your HK$50k salary for two people should be fine.

HOWEVER the biggest issue you need to consider is the visa situation for your g/f.

MovingIn07 and carang like this.

Original Post Deleted
    1) We happily compare salaries, school costs why cant we compare "weekly food budgets" ?

2) I changed my diet when I came here. I know lots and lots of others that did the same. This was partially due to friends, partially due to having an asian domestic helper and partially due to wanting to save money.

Yup - if you with to continue to eat a European diet, you will pay more in Hong Kong. You can make the same argument to any Japanese : if you want to continue to eat a Japanese diet in Hong Kong, you will pay more. We can do the same with many other countries....

If you choose to adopt and do as the Romans do, you will save money.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Locals eat a lot less meat, a lot more rice and a ton more veg.
    The rice is true, but I see locals eating meat in every single meal, and not much variety of veg at all. To me, the typical diet for HK people seems terrible, very focused on meat, oil and empty carbs like noodles.

OP, good luck with your move and kep us posted on how it goes!

Cheers

Last edited by Editor; 27-08-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Like for like : pick items that are common in Epicurean diet, and you'd be right (bread, potatos, pasta etc). Pick items that are common in asian diets (rice, fish, local veg, noodles etc) and you'd be wrong.

I have only been here a bit over a month so far, but as long as i exclude the luxuries i buy from the imported cheese aisle, i've been very impressed with the prices of groceries here. (Moved from Oregon). Just shopping at the local Wellcome market i've bought chicken for a really good price, rolls from the bakery, though i'm not so sure on the bread since the loaves are different here. Juice is reasonable, though i wish they had powdered drinks.

I'm cheap though. I tailor most of my eating to conform to the best deals, with the occasional splurge for cheeses, because cheese is beautiful.

bookblogger and MovingIn07 like this.

Basmati rice == imported goods, expensive and locals typically wont eat the stuff. Not appropriate to compare.
    Onions == Tesco is 69p per kg (8.45 per kg), P&S is 5.50 per 2lbs (6.04 per kg)
    Noodles == its more appropriate to compare egg noodles, fresh noodles, chinese noodles instead of flavoured instant noodles.

I am sure we can all find cheaper products than either Tesco or ParknShop - just picked two well known mass market supermarkets with online stores to illustrate some prices to question your points a little.
    I'm sure you can, but you dont need to look at things one item at a time.

Ask your local friends/colleagues around you how much they spend on their grocery bill per week. Then ask someone from UK/EU and you'll get your answer.
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 27-08-2012 at 01:06 PM.