Like Tree15Likes

Salary $50k per month?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Umm. I'm just pointing out how 50k can buy you into a pretty damn good lifestyle and its a counter to the high rents in Central. Surprisingly, I couldn't give a piss what Gilly thinks...if I was a single guy I would still not live in Central because I'm not an ant.

The reality is that the only expense that is going to be really out of the ordinary coming from a western country is the flat and driving a car if you have to pay for parking. The rest will be in the same ball park or cheaper unless you have an odd lifestyle. Lower taxes can easily offset a slightly more expensive place to live.

You can pay a reasonable price of you live in outlying areas, a very small place or an old walkup or pay outrageous prices if you want a fancy place with facilities on the island.

scotsurv likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Umm. I'm just pointing out how 50k can buy you into a pretty damn good lifestyle and its a counter to the high rents in Central. Surprisingly, I couldn't give a piss what Gilly thinks...if I was a single guy I would still not live in Central because I'm not an ant.
    It is quite obvious that one would not consider you to be representative of the majority of regular people but everyone is entitled to an opinion regardless of how marginal they may be.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    It is quite obvious that one would not consider you to be representative of the majority of regular people but everyone is entitled to an opinion regardless of how marginal they may be.
    You'd better tell that to all the expats living in my village, across the road at GC, next door at AC, increasingly in the villages....up the road in Yuen Long. Marginal? You're so full of shit. If you're earning 50k and you spend half of it to live in a walkup in Central....up to you. If you're earning 50k, 15k is a lot of money and having it in your pocket to save on a commute would be enough for most people.

If you don't think there are many young singles around here, go look at the bus stops for the island on a Friday or Saturday evening ffs.

As usual Gilles...puff, puff, puff, and nowt but garbage from ya!

Of course there are single expats that live in all areas of HK including your beloved Tuen Mun however I doubt that they are also driving a beat up Mercedes and have a full time DH nor do they find it necessary to advertise it to everyone.

OP - I don't know your industry but if you're asking whether $50k is enough for a 26yo single guy to live in HK then IMO the answer is HELL YEAH.

If you want any advice on other things such as where to live, how far to commute, what to bring to HK, or anything else...

feel free to ask.

I'll get my popcorn ready

scotsurv likes this.

Absolutely is enough. You can even live quite centrally (Jordan, e.g.) and spend around 10k for a renovated two bedroom 400 sq ft flat in an older elevator building, as I did in my first two months here before my family joined me. The rest is all cheap here, or can be, provided you don't dine in western eateries and drink at the Chinnery every night.

scotsurv likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Of course there are single expats that live in all areas of HK including your beloved Tuen Mun however I doubt that they are also driving a beat up Mercedes and have a full time DH nor do they find it necessary to advertise it to everyone.
    That is like saying you've never been out here. Whenever you see an older, (esp. convertible), Saab/Merc/BMW/Audi out here, it's almost always a Gweilo driving.

Do you have a problem with DHs. What is your point? You know Gilly, if Geoexpat was a nose, you'd be the annoying bit of snot that you can't quite blow out. All part of the rich tapestry I s'pose!

For a single guy you don't need a DH full time. Though it's illegal you can get one part time for $75 an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    For a single guy you don't need a DH full time. Though it's illegal you can get one part time for $75 an hour.
    Nice to have here hanging about, making tea and so on....bit of dusting and whatnot...