Like Tree10Likes

Schools / Family locations to live / general info please!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

HMMMMM.... i lived in DB and while i wasn't a member of any of the clubs (marina, golf, residents (x2)) i thought that the facilities were pretty darn good, but expensive.

if you live on a houseboat in DB, then you are automatically a member of the marina club. pools, playroom, restaurant(s), gym (?)....

don't know what else you would need?

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    HMMMMM.... i lived in DB and while i wasn't a member of any of the clubs (marina, golf, residents (x2)) i thought that the facilities were pretty darn good, but expensive.

if you live on a houseboat in DB, then you are automatically a member of the marina club. pools, playroom, restaurant(s), gym (?)....

don't know what else you would need?
    My comment about clubs was the respective marina clubs that come with either living on a boat in DB or Gold Coast. The two are very different. I really disliked the one in DB, but thinking back I think what I disliked was the number of screaming kids running around, so that might not be helpful (or helpful in the opposite way!) to the OP!

all of db is full of kids.... that's why it is a great place for families.

i have always maintained that if you don't like dogs or kids, then do NOT move to db.

as a mother, having other kids nearby is a godsend. it would be something that i would seek out in a place to live.

you, as a person who doesn't have kids, may not appreciate having kids around....

Skyhook likes this.

Red face

Thank you for your information. I will look into all types of school. I would like the boys to learn the lingo. Cathay pay a % towards schooling. I think it depends on the type of school as to how high the % is.
    I liked the look of the gold coast but heard its pet free. Is that true?
    I think by the time hubby has completed training we will be looking at 13/14 for schooling. I will enquire as to if I can put their names down now.
    I've spent hours reading posts on this forum, usually ends up with the post being hijacked which is amusing but annoying too if you're trying to gain information! The budget one was interesting.
    With regard to 'help', what is the usual situation? Do they live in? What happens with pay and hours etc? I see a lot of people have help, also noticed this when we were over. Is it the norm and what do they do?
    Thanks again for information.

I liked the look of the gold coast but heard its pet free. Is that true?
    The Gold Coast residences are pet free but it would be a bad choice IMO. Why wouldn't you choose Agean Coast across the road that is pet friendly, cheaper, better quality and with a better club house, etc, etc. You can still enjoy the best bits of GC, the Piazza and Marina for free!!

With regard to 'help', what is the usual situation? Do they live in? What happens with pay and hours etc? I see a lot of people have help, also noticed this when we were over. Is it the norm and what do they do?
    Thanks again for information.
    It's a complicated question!

Assuming you would employ a foreign domestic helper she would normally live-in. Generally, they help with any household duties, cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids, mending clothes, washing the car, shopping and what have you.

Most DHs work a full day and into the evening and should have one clear day off a week.

The live in bit was a bit of a put off for me at first but I'm used to it now and our DH, anyway, we're comfortable with her in the house.

http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/wcp/FDHguide.pdf

The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

I would suggest getting a helper if you can. One negative about HK, IMO, is that even simple things can become a real chore and consume a lot of time. Let the helper take that on!
    Last edited by bryant.english; 28-08-2012 at 04:46 AM.

The gold coast residences are notionally pet free. It depends on the pet - I did some cat sitting for a lady living there so they are certainly not 100% pet free. Dogs are harder as dogs need to be walked; pets that stay inside are tolerated. There are also plenty of pets in the marina - cats, dogs, you name it. Supposedly we are not supposed to have dogs on the boats, tell that to the 5 or so I woof at as I walk past them on the jetty!

Please ignore Bryant's suggestion re Aegean Coast. He's not entirely wrong, he's just not listening to you. The bus to the airport is for people living in the Residences and marina only, so your husband would not be able to get to work easily if you live over the road; also the flats in Aegean coast are very small whereas the residences have a wider selection of larger places that are more suitable to someone with children. There is also clearly some special arrangement that Cathay makes with Sino, because Cathay staff have access to special cheaper bus tickets and I think other benefits living in the GC Phase 2 - you should get your husband to ask about it.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 28-08-2012 at 07:56 AM.

@Min07, were you listening when the OP said she had two dogs and a cat?

Also, M07, you must be on drugs, I have been in many apartments in and around the Gold Coast, I would say GC itself is one of the worst in terms of quality or value. OP, please don't be put off by our squabble, we have done this for years! You must see for yourself. I wouldn't let cheap bus fare be a deal breaker either.( I would drive personally, bet you could carpool easily too.) I can recommend a good agent for this area too if and when..

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Also, M07, you must be on drugs, I have been in many apartments in and around the Gold Coast, I would say GC itself is one of the worst in terms of quality or value. OP, please don't be put off by our squabble, we have done this for years! You must see for yourself. I wouldn't let cheap bus fare be a deal breaker either.( I would drive personally, bet you could carpool easily too.) I can recommend a good agent for this area too if and when..
    Really? I was in one of the beach houses the other week visiting a friend who lives there ... ALMOST ready to give up the boat for that, it was fabulous. Not cheap though. I also have friends in Aegean Coast and have visited them often, including using the club facilities and BBQ's - they have just moved out because there are no flats there big enough for their newly expanded family. My impression of Aegean was that it was nice, flashy, tiny apartments and MUCH MUCH more crowded than the residences. No view on build quality - it's not something I notice.

There are pets in the residences (the cat I mentioned earlier) - dogs, harder to say. I think people hide small dogs, certainly you see them about, but not as often as in the marina.

Those would be the 40k+ beach houses then?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast