Like Tree41Likes

18K Per month good enough for a bachelor ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

18K Per month good enough for a bachelor ?

Hi All ,

I am a software developer from Mumbai , India , and I am planning to move to Hong Kong . I have got an offer of 18K per month [I have 2 years of experience ] .

• My office is in Kowloon Bay , so what kind of cost should I consider for House rent ? I am ok to have 40 minutes of one way travel from House to Kowloon Bay .
    • My budget is around 5-7K and I would prefer to share the House . Is it possible to have a fully furnished house with access to Gym , clubhouse , Swimming pool etc ?
    • How much is the other monthly expense for Food , other utilities like Electricity , Gas , Water , Mobile Phone bill , TV Connection , Internet ?

Also would like to have your views on my monthly salary , Is it good enough to meet expenses and save some amount from it ? . For additional info , I dont smoke, I dont drink , I am a vegetarian .

18K salary ??? doesn't look good - it should be hk$ 45000

Rent will cost you minimum HK$ 6000 in decent area in good house - if shared. I am not sure if sharing is that prevalent here. All utilities will take HK$ 1500-2000 and Indian veggie food is expensive - you need to know cooking as well.

Last edited by Joseph098765; 03-09-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph098765:
    Rent will cost you minimum HK$ 6000 in decent area in good house.
    Please tell us where you can find a house in a decent area for HKD$6000 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Please tell us where you can find a house in a decent area for HKD$6000 per month.
    I mean if shared - full apartment for HK$ 10 to HK$ 12 and shared in HK$ 6k.

cjjenks
    read carefully... he said 'if shared'

Quote Originally Posted by cjjenks:
    read carefully... he said 'if shared'
    No, I edited as I found ambiguity in my answer but meanwhile I found superfast member's comment. Its not his fault.

Ignore the side-talk and let's answer the question to help OP.

Lam Tei, Hung Shui Kiu...

cjjenks

me thinks 12k (shared) is not a problem in many locations... it's finding someone to rent with that will be/is the true crux

Dont come here on 18K its very costly for 18k. Mumbai is much better for 18k here, try to think this way: If you are leading a upper class life in Mumbai..then you would go down to Middle Class here in HK and if Upper Middle Class then one more step down.

Try negotiating or wait for another offer here.

If I was on 18k, I think I would look for an older building (walk up) and try and save money on accommodation if possible. If you can find a couple of guys to share with you then maybe you could get a nice building with a club house etc.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast