Like Tree23Likes

Received an offer, no relocation assistance offered

Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
  1. #31
    cjjenks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    What a ludicrous statement. HK$0.4M per year (34,400 per month to be precise) puts you in the top 10% of wage earners in HK; HK$1M per year puts you in the top 3% or less. It is a "biggie" by any reasonable definition.
    sorry. so sorry.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,941
    Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    Hi everyone, thanks for such a lovely discussion.

    To be clear, the salary is per annum and not per month, unfortunately

    I guess the consensus is to negotiate, which was my inclining anyway, so we'll see what it will yield.
    I would take a lower key approach to start with. Something like "will the relocation package be outlined in the written contract" or "is there a relocation policy document I could review" rather than leaping in with "I want relocation". Obviously it depends on the company. Large multinational are very likely to have a standard policy. Smaller firms may not and may just go with whatever they can get away with.
    Fiona in HKG and carang like this.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    香港
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I would take a lower key approach to start with. Something like "will the relocation package be outlined in the written contract" or "is there a relocation policy document I could review" rather than leaping in with "I want relocation". Obviously it depends on the company. Large multinational are very likely to have a standard policy. Smaller firms may not and may just go with whatever they can get away with.
    Sure, I'll be polite in my negotiations. However it was stated very clearly that no relocation is currently included, so it is pointless to ask whether it was missed during initial discussion.
    dear giant likes this.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,941
    Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    Sure, I'll be polite in my negotiations. However it was stated very clearly that no relocation is currently included, so it is pointless to ask whether it was missed during initial discussion.
    Aah ok I didn't get that from your original post. I would find that mildly surprising at your salary, unleSs you initiated the transfer.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    Hi everyone,

    Recently I received a verbal offer from a large international company to relocate to HK. The salary seems reasonable (>1M HKD), according to my research, but, obviously, I would like more What is a bit unexpected is that no relocation assistance, in form of money or accommodation, was offered. So my questions are:

    1. Is it ok to haggle over such things as salary/relocation package?
    2. How often do expacts come to HK without any relocation package?

    Some background: currently live in London, work in IT, single, don't really need to move lots of stuff, but do need a place to live at the beginning.

    Any additional thoughts are more than welcome.
    (1.) If you accept the other side's initial offer, especially when it is obviously lacking in one or more respects, then you're almost certainly getting less than your due.

    (2.) Many (but certainly not all) expats do come here without relocation being covered, but everyone's circumstances are different.

    I am in a technical role as well and my experience and anecdotal evidence that I have amassed over time suggests that technical folks are less inclined to ensure that they are being compensated properly than, say, more businessy types.

    You used the word "haggle" in your OP and I won't read too much into it, but I hope that you actually view or can be persuaded to view the dance that you going through now with your prospective employer for what it is, a negotiation. Don't allow yourself to be made to feel as though you're haggling/quibbling over "minor" issues or to assert that you're making unreasonable demands (relocation to HK, and also from HK back to the UK, is not an unreasonable demand).

    If I were you, I would (1.) buy a couple of highly-rated books on salary negotiation and skim through them, (2.) Google for relatively recent examples of other folks' expat packages, (3.) tally up the qualifications/qualities that make you uniquely suited for this role as well as the reasons that you're interested in taking the job, and (4.) get back in touch with the org making the offer with your counter offer. Be prepared to calmly and clearly explain why the benefits you're asking for are reasonable and be prepared to walk away.

    Maybe they'll find a sucker who is willing to move to the opposite end of the world and back on his own dime and decline to negotiate further. In that case, you may be better off passing on the job anyway.
    Lootoo likes this.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    香港
    Posts
    1,161
    Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    (1.) If you accept the other side's initial offer, especially when it is obviously lacking in one or more respects, then you're almost certainly getting less than your due.

    (2.) Many (but certainly not all) expats do come here without relocation being covered, but everyone's circumstances are different.

    I am in a technical role as well and my experience and anecdotal evidence that I have amassed over time suggests that technical folks are less inclined to ensure that they are being compensated properly than, say, more businessy types.

    You used the word "haggle" in your OP and I won't read too much into it, but I hope that you actually view or can be persuaded to view the dance that you going through now with your prospective employer for what it is, a negotiation. Don't allow yourself to be made to feel as though you're haggling/quibbling over "minor" issues or to assert that you're making unreasonable demands (relocation to HK, and also from HK back to the UK, is not an unreasonable demand).

    If I were you, I would (1.) buy a couple of highly-rated books on salary negotiation and skim through them, (2.) Google for relatively recent examples of other folks' expat packages, (3.) tally up the qualifications/qualities that make you uniquely suited for this role as well as the reasons that you're interested in taking the job, and (4.) get back in touch with the org making the offer with your counter offer. Be prepared to calmly and clearly explain why the benefits you're asking for are reasonable and be prepared to walk away.

    Maybe they'll find a sucker who is willing to move to the opposite end of the world and back on his own dime and decline to negotiate further. In that case, you may be better off passing on the job anyway.
    Thanks for your reply. I do not plan to be aggressively picky about small things, obviously. Polite and constructive negotiations is my motto

    We'll see how it goes.
    dear giant likes this.

Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4