Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fiona in HKG
  • 1 Post By MovingIn07
  • 1 Post By elliee

Moving to HK- help on visa status appreciated :)

Closed Thread

Moving to HK- help on visa status appreciated :)

My partner has just been offered a job in Hong Kong and wants me to go along. We were set to get married next yr but I'm not sure if we should do it before. Trouble is job starts in jan. should we get married before we go? Or also will indeed to get a temp visa I would like to work but confused about dependents visa and working. Lots to sort out. Would really appreciate help

You can't work in HK without a valid visa, best thing would be to get married and apply for a dependent visa.

Get married before if you are already set to get married, come to HK, When your future husband applies for his Work Visa, once he gets approved then you apply your dependent visa (not sure if you can hand it at the same time).

Dependent Visa allows you to work for any employer or change employers without immigration approval, it is way better than the work visa that your future husband will have.

I would say it depends how advanced your plans are for next year. If the answer is "nothing booked yet" then yes, go ahead and advance the wedding - it will be easier.
    If, like me, you are taking a long time planning a great "do", I would not change that but just accept you won't be able to work for a few months. You will just be a tourist in HK until you go home for the wedding and can then apply for the dependent visa when you get back. There are worse things than having a few months off to plan a wedding!

elliee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Get married before if you are already set to get married, come to HK, When your future husband applies for his Work Visa, once he gets approved then you apply your dependent visa (not sure if you can hand it at the same time).

Dependent Visa allows you to work for any employer or change employers without immigration approval, it is way better than the work visa that your future husband will have.
    If you do get married before coming over, and before your hubby (to be) submits his work visa application, submit your dependent visa at the same time as he submits the work visa application. His form is designed to cover dependents and it makes it a lot easier to do it all at one time.
    wtbhotia likes this.

How easy it would be to come as a visitor for "a few months" is going to depend on your nationality - many nationalities get 14-30 days at a time as visitors, which would make this difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    His form is designed to cover dependents and it makes it a lot easier to do it all at one time.
    It is a bit easier, but the dependent visa application if done itself is still straightforward and easy. I did my dependent visa application after arriving in HK (was married after spouse submitted his employment visa paperwork) and it was no problem. If you don't have a need/ plan to work straight away personally I wouldn't change a wedding date just for a visa. But, if you really need to work, or aren't fussed about saying I do earlier then move it. Personal choice I suppose.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.