Like Tree1Likes

Shipping furniture from US to HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by goleoboy:
    or just buy new ones in shenzhen when you get here or make a quick trip to indonesia for even nicer wooden pieces!
    Where in Indonesia?

hi wesleytobey

we're still deciding to move or sell right now. which company did you use to move? were you satisfied with their services? what big items did you move from US, I know I sound nosy, number of beds, tables, chairs, etc.

Thanks a million

Bumpkin,

I used Allied Pickfords, as I had used them before. Was as good as can be expected. Shipment arrived earlier than expected - was supposed to take 4-6 weeks, but arrived after 3.5. I obtained several quotes from other companies, and all were about the same. So decided to go with Allied as they had a more global presence.

Shipment cost goes by weight and/or cubic feet. My stuff could fit into a 20 ft container (probably with room to spare) and weighed less than 3500 kg.

Stuff included a few large armchairs/dining chairs, 1 chaise longue, 2 coffee tables, 1 sideboard, 20+ boxes of clothes, books, home accessories, appliances, etc. I chucked the bed/mattress, old sofa, dining table.

My understanding is that most people living in 3 bedroom homes can fit their stuff into a 20ft container....I wouldn't suggest to even try to bring that much stuff to Hong Kong, given the size (and cost) of most apartments.....

we used allied too from NYC and paid $7k for 2 bedroom place. again, i would suggest just going to places around asia to 'refurnish' your home. Unless you have pieces that are antiques/hard-to-find...or that you simply LOVE and can't live without... i would suggest getting new stuff here.

Regarding indonesia, the best place (for a furniture shopping trip + vacation all in one) is Bali. The island is filled with great wooden furniture stores - streets are lined with them. And these are pieces that you'd find at hip boutique hotels in the states like those in the lobby of the Hudson or the W and hip hotels in miami...- actually alot of those hotel import furniture from southeast asia... not tacky but actually modern pieces... shipping for 8-10 pieces comes to about $140USD from Bali to HK. we kinda regret shipping some of our stuff over here because now we can't really buy new stuff even if we like it!!

I agree better to travel in Asia and furnish your house... I got some gorgeous pieces in VietNam cheap too!!

Thank you all for replying. I think that we will get rid of our furniture here in us and replace it in hk.

Truly appreciate all the info.

Changing table

We're moving to HKG w/ a baby for about 2 years; I need a changing table for diaper changing. Do they sell these in HKG? I have mine from Pottery Barn which would not fit a suitcase. Is there a company that would ship just one or two pieces of furniture? I love my crib and I can ship my high chair as well. What to do? I dont know where to find these kind of baby furniture in HKG. I tried Craigslist and no changing table came up.

You can get changing tables here. IKEA have basic ones and some of the baby stores sell nicer ones. You can also check the geobaby.com classifieds for second hand. We bought a chest of drawers and put a changing mat on top. Used the chest for 10 yrs

Sent from my GT-I9305 using GeoClicks mobile app

very few people here use craigslist.
    of course you can get these things here. they sometimes cost a little more but the extra would still be less than shipping, i think.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using GeoClicks Mobile

chris_yang22 likes this.

You can find everything you need at ikea