Moving from Japan: Shall I bring the appliances

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving from Japan: Shall I bring the appliances

I will be moving to HK from Toko next month. I plan to take 3 bed room apartment in Tung Chung or somewhere in NT in 10-12k range.

The company will pay for my shipment and hence I am shipping my bed, diniing table and 2 sofas.

For tv, fridge, washing machine, microwave, AC(2), I thought i will sell them but dont seem to be getting reasonable price for them here. I wanted to take your advice on whether I shall sell them here or bring them along (which will not cost me anything).

The only concern is that if most apartments in those areas are fully/partially furnished with these appliances, what would I do with them then? Please let me know whats the normal furnishing of apt. there.

Also for kitchen appliance s, toaster etc, i decided ot bring them along and use convert for them to adapt tp 220v, has anybody used Japan electronics in HK? how much is the civerter for? does this seem workable?

Thanks,
    Bill

Apartment in Tung Chung

Hi Bill,

If you will take the apt. in Tung Chung and I don't think you need bring "tv, fridge, washing machine, microwave, AC(2)" because in TC most of the apt. are very new and it's come with all those electric appliances from developer (except you want to stay in the village house.)

In TC they both have unfurnished/furnished apts available. I will only suggest u to keep bed, diniing table and 2 sofas if you want.

Finally, well come to HK!!

Yvonne

...So... uh, it's everything BUT the kitchen sink

A friend rented a nice Tung Chung flat, and as far as I recall while flat-hunting with her, 90% were not furnished at all, except for air-conditioning and shelves.

Flats in NT can be partially furnished, but most are not. Well, since you say your company's footing the shipping bill, guess they're asking to be taken full 'vantage of

IMHO, if you're selling the stuff here, I would doubt you'll get that much more than if you sell them in Japan - Most Hong Kongers aren't very into the second-hand buy-sell scene either, unless it's something "different" or an irresistible bargain!

Best wishes.

I paid around $350HKD for a transformer that has a decent voltage capacity (enough to run a PS3) in a shopping mall in Kwun Tong (Kwun Tong... mall? Next to the MTR exit). You can try Sham Shui Po as well where they sell a lot of electronics.

But NEVER NEVER buy from those tourist traps in Tsim Sha Tsui, I bought one from there for like $600 bucks and it had such a low capacity that it could only sustain my Canadian PS2 and burned out when I played my PS3 with it... boy was I steamed when I found out a transformer with double the capacity costs almost half as much in Kwun Tong....

Oh, and welcome to HK!

dont even bother bringing kitchen appliances as they are so cheap for new ones, you will be wasting your money buying converters and extension cords when for example toasters only cost around 150 - 400 HKD.

Thanks for this guys. Now I have 2 days left but 2 ACs and a fridge are still left. Fridge I can scrap but for ACs i will have to pay like 100 us$ to get them even thrown away.

My company will pay for thr shipment so i thought that if there is some remote possibility of an apartment in HK not having AC in all bedrooms and lounge, I can then make use of them there (offcourse with a 1000hk$ transformer for voltage).

Please let me know that are the normal 3 BR apartments (specially in TC, sham tseng , gold coast areas) normally equipped with ACs in all rooms ? if not do you recommend me spending money on throwing the ACs or bringing them over

Pls let me know ASAP as i have only 1 day to decide,

Thanks a million
    B

Honestly, you do pose strange non-life threatening questions!

One day left to decide, huh?
    Then just get those A/Cs shipped over if it won't cost ya - but hey, these metal hunks will end up in some HK landfill if your new TC flat already has them, which is highly likely as you're going for a 3-bedroom, so probably higher-end place.

TC apartments will have ACs....

you can always sell it out after you shipped it over (at company cost)

if your AC's are 110v then they will require heavy duty transformers that will probably cost more than a brand new Cheap AC. Dont bother trying to sell them in HK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast