Coming in on a One-Way ticket with a tourist visa

Closed Thread

Coming in on a One-Way ticket with a tourist visa

Hey everyone,
    I'll be moving to HK in April (and am quite excited!), so I'm busily preparing...just wanted to know if you fly in with a tourist visa and a one-way ticket, would it raise any alarms? I'd hate to get turned back or something, but the price difference would really help me out.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

i flew in with a one way ticket and a tourist visa from the US last year and didn't have any problem. i think it will depends on where you are flying in from....also i don't know how they would check whether you have a one way ticket or not unless they ask you for your return ticket on the spot which they rarely do...

Quote Originally Posted by jngai:
    i flew in with a one way ticket and a tourist visa from the US last year and didn't have any problem. i think it will depends on where you are flying in from....also i don't know how they would check whether you have a one way ticket or not unless they ask you for your return ticket on the spot which they rarely do...
    This is the same for me. I have twice now flown here from Vancouver with just a one-way ticket. My local friends say it probably depends like this post above says where you come from and their view of whether you are likely to . I did panic the first time I came when I heard at the last minute - as I didn't read the rules earlier- that I needed to have a return ticket.

The worst thing from what I was led to believe is that would make you buy a ticket out of HK. At that point you'd want a ticket that is cancellable or could be changed with no penalty.

ahh i see. Yeah i've been hearing the same kind of things here and there, so, glad to know its the same for others too. I'm flying in from Ottawa, so hopefully i won't have a problem. Thanks for your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by duksiew:
    Hey everyone,
    I'll be moving to HK in April (and am quite excited!), so I'm busily preparing...just wanted to know if you fly in with a tourist visa and a one-way ticket, would it raise any alarms? I'd hate to get turned back or something, but the price difference would really help me out.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks
    In the worst case, if you have online access at the airport you check in (After having seen LAX I now believe everything is possible in terms of non availability) you could always buy a ticket with airasia out of Macau to Bangkok for a few bucks. It can be done online within minutes.

Agree with other comments, the Immigration will not usually ask for a return ticket because you may be flying on to another country, or entering mainland China. Could be some countries without approval, must have visa before entering HK, may require closer inspection. I have traveled on one-way ticket to HK many times and was never asked for a round-trip. Good luck.

I flew in from Vancouver recently and they asked me to show them a return ticket. I don't know if you want to take the risk or not? I had my agent put a one year expiry on my ticket. I told them I was not sure if I would after Chinese New Year or Valentines day so that is why I have a one year expiry date. I think it would be safer to have a one year expirey date because you know you will use it in a year anyways. If you land a job, you would probably want to go back to pack other things or cancel some stuff that you didn't cancel yet i.e. car insurance etc.