Canadian Wanting to Move to HK

Closed Thread
  1. #1

    Question Canadian Wanting to Move to HK

    I'm a Canadian and I'm wanting to move to Hong Kong to work. What is the process with regards to getting different permits along the way.

    Do I start with a visitors visa and have my interviews while I'm there and then apply for a different permit if I find the right job? Or do I apply for a conditional residency permit? Any help would be appreciated. The Chinese Cundefinedonsulate in Vancouver was very unhelpful.

    Also, what is an average amount that I could expect to pay for housing.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2003

    >> what is an average amount that I could expect to pay for housing.

    How long is a piece of string?

    The bottom line is you'll have to find a job where the employer is willing and able to sponsor your application to the immigration department.

    Willing implies that they want to hire you.

    Able implies that they are able prove to the immigration department that
    1) they can fund your salary, they're a legitimate business contributing to the local economy etc...
    2) they have interviewed local candidates for the same position and salary and have not found anyone locally with your skills

    Fairly simple.

    Would highly recommend you review the FAQs on

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Third Sphere of Paradiso
    Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    How long is a piece of string?
    Something out of topic here but a piece of string should be long enough to cover what needs to be covered *g*

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hong Kong

    Hey! I think as long as you have enough money to rent a place for a few months and fly back home should it not work out, coming here without a job is no problem. Once you're hired, your work will sponsor your visa for the amount of time that they outline in your contract. I don't know about Canadians, but U.S. citizens can stay in HK for 90 days with no Visa. Good luck! Feel free to contact me if you come here or need more advice.