Like Tree7Likes

BANANAS - Fitting in as a British Born Chinese expat

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question BANANAS - Fitting in as a British Born Chinese expat

Hey all,

Hope the Geoexpat hive mind can help with a question!

Hubby and I have plans to relocate to HK, we're both British Born Chinese and have basic Cantonese / Mandarin. Hoping to brush up on our language so we're not completely at sea (current level: ordering dim sum)

Just wondering if anyone has experience of how HK locals interact with you if you have a Chinese face but limited language skills and a British background...?

Thanks and have a happy new year!
    Q

Hi quirksome

Fellow bbc here, Quite a lot of us have upped sticks and moved out here to HK.
    Not a problem with a lot of the locals communication wise etc so don't need to worry about that.

Culture shock, now that's a different story lol

Hey there! I have the same issue really, but I would say, don't let that bother you. Most people will also have at least a basic English speaking ability and be able to communicate with you ok. The older locals tend to have less patience though in my experience, but you'll only come across that if you go to really local places. Overall, my Cantonese has picked up quite a lot and I haven't been here for too long, so I think the same will apply to you!! As for having a British background, you will find it's a bonus as your accent should fall more easily on the local ears and make it easier for them to know what you're saying...unless you have a nothern accent :P

I'm from Singapore and my Mandarin and Cantonese is close to zero. The locals aren't really bothered much by my lack of communication skills. I speak to them in English and they are pretty okay with it. =]

Thanks jimbo, Gavster and meDaniel! Makes me feel a little easier about upping sticks. We've both been to HK a number of times but as children/tourists.

A friend said that HK Mandarin classes aren't that great, so I should learn in the UK! Is that true?

Despite his advice, I've signed up to evening Cantonese courses as I feel that would help more in day-to-day life...

Which language would you rather have?

Mandarin is not particularly helpful here in HK but essential if you travel (or deal with) the mainland. Canto is what folks here use on a daily basis, but it's possible to live in HK for many years with almost zero knowledge of if - I can count to 3, and ask for the bus to stop, that's about it! but am not ethnically chinese either so nobody expects me to speak it. I have heard my ethnically chinese but not canto speaking colleagues say sometimes it can be frustrating when folks expect you to speak Chinese as you don't. But they get over it.

locals ( the majority) won't look down on an non speaking chinese person, however, based on non-speaking friends, HK is perfect fine for non speaking chinese people ( Living in NT would be harder) however, knowing chinese definitely helps everyday living, but it's not essential, also helps you blend and assimulate with the local population (even though you do get the feeling, that ' u are essentially the same as locals, however, u do feel different') or some specifically (probably elitism) don't wanna be associated similar a to local and regards themselves as pretty western than anything else

Alright, so my mandarin have been improving since I'm forced to text my GF, she's from the mainland but have since migrated over to HK for close to 5 years now.

However I still choose to speak to the locals in English, call me stuck up but I'm more comfortable that way.

But if you really want to learn Cantonese, it would be better if there is someone there to practice with daily if not on a regular basis.

Will be picking up the language when I move there to work this June (hopefully I can find a job there!)

Again, the locals are more receptive if they know you are not from the mainland. At least that's how I feel (applicable here in Singapore).

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Chinese Proficiency Test

I don't think I've ever been mistaken for a mainlander, only a tourist!

Will see how much my Canto improves over next 3 months, I have 20 hours classes, some apps, and a fast-approaching deadline!

Movingin07 and others - what do you think about the Chinese Proficiency Test? (HSK - Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) Is it worth doing - I (perhaps optimistically) think I could get up to Level 2 (300 words) in 3-4 months, but is it worth taking time out to do this properly?

http://www.hkmandarin.com/courses-hsk.html

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Mandarin is not particularly helpful here in HK but essential if you travel (or deal with) the mainland. Canto is what folks here use on a daily basis, but it's possible to live in HK for many years with almost zero knowledge of if - I can count to 3, and ask for the bus to stop, that's about it! but am not ethnically chinese either so nobody expects me to speak it. I have heard my ethnically chinese but not canto speaking colleagues say sometimes it can be frustrating when folks expect you to speak Chinese as you don't. But they get over it.

I am CBC, and I can speak fluent Cantonese.. But I dont know what's wrong with me.. lol Every time someones speaks to me in cantonese, It takes me longer to respond, though I am not like this when I talk to my family? Maybe it's because I use english to communicate with my friends and coworkers back in Canada? Not sure. lol :/

I sometimes feel like an alien here though I know the language

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast