Why is HK such a good place to live/work?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why is HK such a good place to live/work?

Hi all,

I just joined over a week ago, and you may have got to know a bit about me from my 2 other threads on "How to get an IT consulting job" and "USA MBAs"...
    Basically Im a 27 yr old cdn born chinese who has been working in the IT field for 3 yrs.

I want to get to the heart of the matter, and find out if moving to HK is really a good place for me.

Here are my pros and cons in comparison to my hometown of Toronto. I invite everyone to validate my claims and counter my arguments

(PROs) I would like to work in HK for 2-3 years because:
    - it would be a great opportunity for personal growth, being in HK would force me to move from conversational canto to "more fluent"
    - international work experience would look good on any resume, especially the city of HK
    - HK is a financial hub, where you can make a lot if youre into business, finance, realestate
    - HK has cheap food, great public transportation
    - the winters are warm! (no snow and -20C like toronto!)
    - less likely to face ethnic barriers in the work environment due to my skin color (i.e. atleast I look chinese)
    - fast-paced, busy lifestyle, nicer luxuries (dining, clothing, etc)

(CONs) I think Toronto, or even USA cities like NYC and SF would be a better fit for me because:
    - IT industry isn't that big in HK, there are much more opportunities in north america, no matter the level of experience you have
    - Wages for IT are MUCH higher in North America. If I wanted to net the same salary in HK... I need a salary of $37,000 HKD/month (pre-tax)... which I hear is highly unlikely for someone with 3 yrs of IT experience
    - Realestate is almost double the costs (in prime areas) as compared to toronto. I could easily spend my entire salary on rent.
    - the summers are sooooooo humid in HK... the suffering is comparable to the cold winters in toronto :P
    - I dont really like the busy lifestyle, I prefer the active sport lifestyle, where I can drive to public basketball or tennis courts and not need to wait in long lines.
    - I love driving my car, and motorcycle... which I wouldnt be able to afford in HK

Well, thats all I can think of for now... I look forward to everyone's opinions!
    Help me decide

You can net 35K a month for an IT job with 3 years experience but it depends what IT experience you have (banking? ERPs?...)

Let me show you my analysis. I also grew up in Canada, but somehow I am very Asian. I speak, read and write Cantonese/Mandarin, adore Chinese /Thai food and would love to work in HK eventually.

Pros
    - Active, dynamic city
    - Better opportunities for career advancement
    - Excluding accommodation, cost of living is relatively lower than Canada.
    - Practical: no need to drive 30min to get to the supermarket, another 30 min to get to the dentist; everything is nearby.
    - Major financial hub
    - Somehow the center of Asia when it comes to traveling.. you can easily fly anywhere from HK
    - Work hard, party hard! And if you perform well, get rewarded accordingly to your efforts.
    - Low income tax, unlike Canada
    - No consumption tax

Cons
    - High air pollution
    - Noisy/Overcrowded (but I actually like this)
    - Not a good place for retirement
    - Expensive housing

Last edited by HKforever; 22-02-2008 at 02:12 PM.

I have 3 years in general IT consulting and retail ecommerce.
    mostly around making B2C ecommerce websites to sell stuff.
    ecomm isnt that big in HK because ppl prefer to go shopping in the store, rather than online. so I dont see a big demand for my area of limited expertise.

My comments on HKForever's PROs/CONs:

> I agree there are much more opportunities for career growth in HK if you are in the financial services/banking/investment field. I know many university classmates who have moved back after graduation and are making much more than they would have here in Toronto.
    However, I am in IT, and I dont think HK is strong in that side.

> Transportation system is convenient, but I prefer a little bit longer of a ride, and traffic jam over being cramped in a subway with ppl coughing about.

> Yes, I forgot the point that HK air is bad... and China is even worse! The air is only going to get worse as China increases manufacturing levels.

> I agree that HK is not the best place to retire for old people, but I also don't think its the best place to raise kids. There is a better health/education, and simply more space in canada.

Quote Originally Posted by ITCBC:
    There is a better health/education {...} in Canada.
    I think you'd have trouble producing data to support that assertion.

Just let me drop my few cents to your points:

Salary:
    If you do an MBA in HK, 37,000 is rather low. The average of HKUST is around 40k+, but the number is going up quickly. Also taxes are very low. So the net amount after tax is much higher than you get anywhere in the world (unless you have a US passport and have to pay global taxes).

Property:
    If you live in Central then rents are extremly high, but if you are willing to communte 30 - 45 min then it is more manageable.

Lifestyle:
    You can actually have quiet an active lifestyle in Hong Kong, in only a few minutes you are out in the green and can go hiking or sailing. There are actually quiete a lot of publich facilities like pool or sports grounds (mainly in the NT though).

My three reasons for selecting Hong Kong over the USA: Safe, friendly people, and non-intrusive government.

Canada = 40 hours a week at work
    Hong Kong = Up to 80 hours a week at work

Keep this in mind...

That really depends on how you choose to live your life and with whom. I knew people who worked 80 hour weeks in London, but in Hong Kong I can't think of anyone I know who works more than about 50 hours on average, and most average about 35-40 by the time you exclude lunch breaks.

here is my 2 cents:

as a former new yorker, I can say HK is not as bad as NYC. Foods, transportation, low tax, access to China and other SE asian countries are pros. yes. moneywise, I am making less here compared to States. however, the hk lifestyle here is the tradeoff. Plus, my spouse is a native HKer and some of my friends and relatives are local too. the only things i miss... NY sports talk and my sports buddies

ITCBC: give a try... lets say 2-3 years! who knows?? the world is constantly changing. with globalization, it doesnt make a huge difference of where we live. again, it's a matter of choice. good luck!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast