Like Tree4Likes

Woud you move to HK if you make C$200k + last year in Canada?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

actually it would help if you told us what exactly you do on the trading floor. 200k C$ for an ED sounds lowish plus you consider the canadian taxes and HK could look much more attractive financially. but then you consider housing, schooling, etc and the picture is more nuanced.

and most importantly: can you get a job at all in this climate?

no, because of the kids and better air quality.

I have noticed many people in HK lack a deep sense of values, you would not want your kids to grow up in such an environment, in particular since you put high emphasis on certain values such as faithfulness

knowing what to do is not enough, we must do it.

Last edited by Morrison; 12-01-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Schools are expensive in HK. You are looking at at least C$15K per year per child however you get far better than the canadian public education offers. It is also less expensive than good canadian private schools like Bishop Strachan or Upper Canada College.
    How do HK Public Schools compare with Canadian Public Schools? That would be a fairer comparison, and not unreasonable since the kids are of HK descent, perhaps speak at least some Cantonese, and could easily drop into the (free) public education system here.

Let's put it this way... I don't know too many people that are upper middle class that choose to put their kids in the regular public system of either country.

Most canadian upper middle class parents that opt for the public system put their kids in special programs like language immersion, sports or arts study program or IB so that it's essentially streamed by ability and classes have very few difficult children.

I seriously doubt that on such a salary, her kids would be in the public system in Canada unless it's a special program. Top canadian private schools such as Bishop Strachan or UCC go for over 200HKD per year, in Vancouver, York House is just under 200HKD/year and the top international schools in HK have very impressive IB results that compare with top private schools. I think parents are actually getting decent value for money getting their kids educated in international schools in HK.

ufo20022008 likes this.

So basically you're saying that education isn't a significant factor in the decision whether to move? (Except perhaps with the availability issue in HK)

Availability should improve as many schools are increasing and will continue to increase their numbers because of new campuses being opened.

As I said strictly speaking, the schools in HK offer decent value for money compared to Canada so perhaps the perceived high cost may not necessarily be a factor in her decision. Even less so if the employer pays for some or all of it.

From the feedback mentioned, she obviously shouldn't jump and come over here without guarantees however if she's offered a decent contract, I think it's a great experience for a few years particularly with her chinese heritage and the kids would have an opportunity to be more fluent in chinese. Like many other families, she might decide after a few years that she and her husband want something different for her family. The husband doesn't currently have a job anyway and it's debatable as to whether his opportunities will be better in Canada. If she's offered something good then it's as good a time as any. I certainly wouldn't say that her quality of life will be worse here. It will be different with advantages and disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    no, because of the kids and better air quality.

I have noticed many people in HK lack a deep sense of values, you would not want your kids to grow up in such an environment, in particular since you put high emphasis on certain values such as faithfulness
    don't you get most of your values from the parents?
    chingleutsch and carang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    That's a load of crock... Considering what the general crime rate is compared to the west, you could just as well argue that the West values are corrupt.

From an education point of you, I can tell you the kids tend to grow up in a far, far, far better school environment in HK than in most western schools. Less drugs, less alcohol, less sex, less violence/bullying and a much bigger focus on education as a whole.

What can you offer over all the other out of work traders? You have no experience in Asian currencies, and frankly Canadian desks are not that big in most banks. Of the major Canadian banks, maybe CIBC and BNS have a bit of business here in Asia, but in Singapore not HK.

As for your husband being out of work - may he can come over first to test the waters. But with two small kids, I am not sure that is a good idea. With your good job in Canada, i would not risk that right now. He should continue to look for something in Canada. Is your husband Chinese, speak Mando, read write Chinese?

My expat friends in HK referred this forum to me and certainly warm help and discussion here didn't disappoint me! Thanks everyone for your opinions!

I totally agree that I should land a job before I move since right now I have to feed the family. I have 5 interviews lined up for next months so hopefully something will yield. Since this could be my last year as a Director before I get my promotion, I debate myself about the timing a lot. I don't want to start from ground zero again!

I was told Canadian international schools have crazy waiting list and may have to wait for few years. Is it true? Also I don't wanty kids to just study all day long like most local kids because of the competition. I want them to have a proper childhood with study and fun combined. Is that possible over there ?

Again, thanks guys!