Need some advice

Closed Thread

Need some advice

Hi all,

I have recently qualified as a TEFL teacher (BA + CELTA) and I am very interested in coming to teach in Hong Kong. I am not sure what I should do or where to start really. I was wondering if anyone out there could help?

I am in two minds as to whether I should apply for jobs from here in the UK or if I should take the chance and up-sticks and look whilst in HK. The problem with the latter option is of course if I don't find anything relatively quickly I don't have an inexhusative amount of money to support myself indefinately. I have some friends already over there who would put me up for a while, but this is obviously not a long term solution.

Has anyone been in the same position who could offer some advice or tell me about your own experiences of teaching English in HK?

Any replies really appreciated!!!!

check out from where you are:

www.classifiedpost.com
    Dave's ESL Cafe

Alby,

Thanks for the reply, have been checking out these sites fairly regularly, and will continue to do so. Do you know of any language schools that hire from overseas? I have e-mailed a few but not had any replies!!!!

It seems that schools are reluctant to reply to teachers sending in applications from abroad..
    My bf sent out loads or CV's to schools before he came out and got next to no replys.
    Within 2 weeks of arriving in HK and adding a HK address/tel number to his CV, he had signed a contract for a job. It was August time, so schools are probably desperate at that time too.

Hi helles,

Yeah I thought that would probably be the case so I might give it a try, found a flight with Oasis for about £90!! So that's not too bad.

Thanks for the reply!!