figured i'd give a quick intro: i'm currently a back office guy at a nyc ib- but i've been interviewing for a sales role in uk (which has now been relocated to asia due to expansion of the product).
28 yrs old- chinese by blood, born/raised in uk, but have been in nyc for the past 6 years (went to school here too so total time of about 14 yrs). very active social life in nyc, and am somewhat of a serial dater (being in nyc how can one not be?). currently living in gramercy park...working 15min walk or subway from work.
i've recently decided that even if the specific job i was looking into doesn't pan out (i have the third interview coming up later this month), i'd still move out to hkg to work/live...
noting all of the above...
1. is hk side or kowloon side better to live?
2. how is single life over there?
3. i'm a fan of larger beds- all the apts i've seen don't seem to have much room- is it possible to get queen/king sized beds?
4. would it be more attractive to potential employers that i have RTL instead of just a work visa?
5. my command of cantonese is quite crap- i speak hakka well...and obviously english-with both accents ...will this be an issue- didn't seem too bad on hk island, but the further north i went, it seemed to get a little rough...
on a related note, i originally planned 2 mo's for a move...but the more i think about it, the more i realize it's going to take a lot longer.
list of things to do:
1. decide whether i'm selling my condo, or subletting it out (and dealing with mgmt co's), in addition to selling the majority of my furniture!
2. Sell all my toys- already gotten rid of car, now two motorcycles left *cries*
3. renew my british passport (easy), apply for my US citizenship (i was lazy after i became eligible, and never bothered with the admin. step of applying), figure out how to get my hk ID (i had one as a kid, but didn't bother renewing- both my parents are hk ROA holders, so i assume it shouldn't be too hard (for me to get RTL)
4. figure out the job situation-- if i don't get this current role, i'll probably wait til i get to hk before looking as it'll be easier that way
5. straighten up finances- set up new banka ccounts/cc's in hkg....though again probably easier once i'm there.
6. have a gigantic going away party
anyone have any suggestions for things i'm missing out on in terms of 'checklist before moving'...also anyone have similar time frames or suggestions for time frames?
thanks all and HI!
(sorry about the long post!)