Seriousely, where should we live (pet-friendly)!?!?!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Seriousely, where should we live (pet-friendly)!?!?!

Hi, first-timer posting something . . . .there is a strong chance we will be moving from NYC (Manhattan) to HK very soon w/in 3-6mths. I've been reading all the helpful advice, but I'm still very confused on where the best place for us to live is. We have a large dog that will be making the move too. So, with that being said what we're looking for is somewhere dog-friendly, new & modern - is that too much to ask for?

Budget? That is the biggest question. And any size requirements?
    Are you bringing the dog over right away, or is it coming later? If the second, just spend a week or two checking out places in your mornings/evenings. If I could guess from (large dog in Manhattan), you're getting an expat package and will be steered toward Happy Valley and Mid Levels. But everyone is different, and just walk the neighborhoods, too, one morning to see what fit you like best. Everyone is in the same situation coming over, unsure of where to live. But when you get here and find a place, you can move in with in a day or two, unlike in the states. Just check out a few neighborhoods, find which ones you like the vibe of better, then go to an agent there with your specifics.

Link below is to a list of buildings that allow dogs in Hong Kong. Some of them are on HK island.

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread15060-3.html

For areas on HK island, try looking at Repulse Bay, Stanley, Pok Fu Lam, Mid-Levels East (around Stubbs Road), the Peak, Happy Valley, Jardines Look out, Deep Water Bay...a lot will depend on your budget and how long you are willing to commute (some of these places are less than 15 minutes frorm Central, and the rush hour morning commute from some can be 45 minutes).

All of these places have easy access to HK country parks and wide open spaces. Unfortunately most city parks in HK are not like NY and don't have dog runs or even permit dogs.

For New Terratories, Sai Kung is very nice. Can get a house plus yard for what you'd pay for a 1000sf apartment in the Mid Levels. There are lots of other places also, but commute takes a while. Discovery Bay is another option - 25 minute commute by ferry. Works well for a lot of people and can get a condo with a yard. Lots of green places and walking areas.

Pet Friendly Bel Air

We live in Residence Bel-Air, located on HK Island West (Cyberport). There are loads of families with dogs here, really pet-friendly. The residents here are mostly expats from all over. Club facilities are great, view of the sea is great and the building + interior is modern. There is a shuttle bus very frequently going to Sheung Wan MTR station. Again, depending on the rent budget you have but it can go from HKD30k up. We live in a 1600sqft and paying HKD55k.

Thanks to all of you for such quick responses, so helpful! We won't know our budget until end of this week when the pckg is presented. I think we'd rather sacrifice some commuting time to be in a place that is comfortable for all of us. I've also read about this serviced apts that do allow dogs, Shama - any opinions? Also, Park Island.
    On another subject, is it worth bringing household items over from the states? Such as kitchen stuff (ie. silverware, plates, glasses), bed linens. We don't plan on bringing any furniture.
    And another subject, gyms? Are they expensive to join? I've seen one called Seasons that looks good.

My opinion...the Shama is rather small and really hard to get (only one of their properties are pet-friendly I think). Also, because of limited units, you have to really have the perfect timing as they have long waiting lists.
    As for bringing things over.. don't bring electrical stuff of course, different voltage. As for furniture, I guess it's up to your taste (and package, if they cover shipment)..but HK has lots to offer... and getting furniture and house decor (esp if you want Asian ones) are not expensive. Heck, you can even rent really nice furniture here at a steal!
    Most apartments here have a gym. That was one of my key requirements when I was looking for my home. The one in my apartment is really good. However, if you want a professional gym, Seasons is one of the best (but a standalone). The most popular (and good one) is California Fitness which you can join and go to any of their 10+ branches.
    If you need more info, let me know here or email me at [email protected]. Cheers.

Oh, one personal tip. When I arrived here, I thought as you did. Living further in sacrifice to a nicer place. However, after living here in HK for a while, even 10 kilometres seem far. Best to stay nearer to where you work/ go frequently. Though the transport system here is good, it's always better to be near the heart of things. If you are going to work on HK Island, stay on the Island.

"Most apartments here have a gym"

i wouldn't say so....

I was just about to write the same thing. Only a very small proportion of apartments here have a gym, but probably a majority of those costing over, say, HK$50,000/month to rent.

Apologies if it was misleading. Thanks for the correction. Cheers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast