Like Tree15Likes

Job Offer / Relocation Package

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Job Offer / Relocation Package

Hello All,

I just received a job offer to relocate to Hong Kong from Miami and I need some advice as to what can I expect my life to look like with the current package. This way I can best negotiate.

Current situation:
    I'm living in a 2 bedroom apartment that is about 1200 sq. ft. Family consists of wife, 19 month old son, and new baby on the way in September.

The details of the offer are as follow:
    HKD 71,500 per month gross salary
    HKD 30,000 per month housing allowance
    Discretionary bonus of 2-4 months salary
    Full Medical Coverage in HK and mainland China

I would be working in Taikoo Shing in the hospitality industry.

The assignment is for 18-24 months with the intention of returning to the US.

My main questions are:
    1. Is this enough money for accommodations to love comfortably? We understand we have to give up space vs. Miami but want to ensure the accommodations are comparable in relations to luxury/quality of our apt in Miami.
    2. Air quality is a big concern - especially with a pregnant wife - where is best to live that would provide my wife support for the kids (ie playgrounds, indoor areas for bad pollution days).

Any other advice you can think of is greatly appreciated!

We are so excited about our move and are looking forward to immersing ourselves in the culture of this amazing city.

Thank you!

Yes 30,000 is enough. Sai Kung was be a good option although the commute to work would be a little bit longer. Cleaner air there and more room for your family.

You dont mention your current salary but on first look, the package looks fair.

1) yes
    2) No major school issues to worry about, I'd stay close to work.

Housing allowance is already enough but you can't live downtown for the air pollution issues, maybe Stanley? Cuz you work in taikoo shing right? Gotta choose somewhere in east hk.

Sai Kung is a good option. Also would you need a kindergarten for your kid? That is kind of a challenge here.

Clearwater Bay would be a good place for you to live. It looks like a nice package they have offered you.

You live in a hot and humid climate and in a 1200 sq ft./two bedroom apt.....so you should adapt to living here more easily than some Yanks I know. Seems like you can handle hot/humid weather and cramped living conditions.

The air pollution with young kids is a tough one...do your research well before coming so you are not surprised...

Make sure your housing allowance is included in the contract to say that the company is providing an allowance. This will reduce your tax liability when the time comes.

Also note that, as a Yank (presumably?), you will not benefit much from the favourable tax regime most expats in HK enjoy, so your salary should be higher than that offered to your non-US colleagues. (Handled badly, even appropriate compensation can negatively endear you to such colleagues...) It's all part of the benefits of US citizenship!

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    Also note that, as a Yank (presumably?), you will not benefit much from the favourable tax regime most expats in HK enjoy, so your salary should be higher than that offered to your non-US colleagues. (Handled badly, even appropriate compensation can negatively endear you to such colleagues...) It's all part of the benefits of US citizenship!

Your first 100,000k USD is not taxed by the US...HK only. I would still say that is a big benefit, even as an American.
    HK2A430 and darraya like this.

I would live on the Island or even Discovery Bay. I think your family will feel isolated in Sai Kung /NT.

Places on the Island, North Point / Tin Hau, Tai Koo.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast