Like Tree1Likes

Is it worth moving Dubai to HK ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it worth moving Dubai to HK ?

I have recently been offered a job at HK, from a career perspective or on CV. It looks good but the pay seem to be noncompetitive. I am currently living in Dubai and Salary offered is almost the same as what I get here in Dubai. I am very confused to take the offer or decline it ?

HK employer has given me offer as below

Salary - 70000
    No relocation package

Quote Originally Posted by confuseddxb:
    I have recently been offered a job at HK, from a career perspective or on CV. It looks good but the pay seem to be noncompetitive. I am currently living in Dubai and Salary offered is almost the same as what I get here in Dubai. I am very confused to take the offer or decline it ?

Salary - 70000
    No relocation package
    70,00 what?
    For doing what?

Stay in Dubai pal

I loved the food when we stayed in Dubai, maybe because they offered a majority of what I generally like to eat, so I was pretty happy there. Housing is also MUCH larger in Dubai compared to HK, running a car is cheap as chips, and you have plenty of road to enjoy. Fuckin HOT in Summer but that didn't particularly faze me as it was more like Aussie, didn't raise a sweat unless we were near Mahdinnat / Jumeriah , can get a bit humid around sunset there. But only momentarily.

Nah if I were you, I'd stay in Dubai, plus consumer electrical and quality brand cooking appliances are much cheaper in Dubai than what they are in HK..

Dubai is international expat hell. Full of horrid creatures pretending to be human. You know the type: "work in sales", boast about their "people skills". HK is close in parts, but overall has a much broader spread of people/professions.

I'm currently living in Dubai and have lived in HK most of my life.

HKD 70,000 a month if your single or married is a decent salary. If you haven't already done so try visiting HK for a couple of days.

My comparison to both cities:
    - Dubai is a village in comparison to HK and no where near as exciting and vibrant as HK
    - Dubai is pain to navigate, traffic everywhere
    - No real culture in Dubai

And there are couple of other negatives abt Dubai that I really don't want to get into. I hopefully will be leaving Dubai in a years time.

Best of Luck.

Last edited by bak875; 18-05-2013 at 07:36 PM.

The thing that I am concerned about is the depletion of the savings due to high cost of living.

70k is a good starter package, but you will not save much.

Quote Originally Posted by confuseddxb:

Salary - 70000
    No relocation package
    It would help to know what job you are in and where you will work or live as cost of housing can vary greatly. Single or family makes also a difference.
    And just to be clear - that's 70k Hong Kong Dollars a month?
    Last edited by Raccon; 19-05-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cokezero:
    70k is a good starter package, but you will not save much.
    70K HK$ per month is a huge salary for a single person (it's over 3 times the median household income and 6 times the median personal income). A good salary for a couple, but could be a bit tight if you have school age kids that need to go to international (i.e. high fee) schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    70K HK$ per month is a huge salary for a single person (it's over 3 times the median household income and 6 times the median personal income). A good salary for a couple, but could be a bit tight if you have school age kids that need to go to international (i.e. high fee) schools.
    Why do people always compare to median salaries? All the locals that push down this median value live in a different world with cheap housing that is never available for us. Sure 70K is a decent salary, but for a whole family you will most likely have a quite low living standard compared to what he/she probably could get in another country.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast