Bankruptcy & Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Bankruptcy & Hong Kong

How does having a USA bankruptcy (Chapter 7, elimination of unsecured debt, usually someone with few/no assets) on my credit record affect establishing myself in Hong Kong? Are expats with a bankruptcy common in HK? Is it common for apartment lease applications to include a credit check? Do employers/HK Immigration require credit checks? Does having a bankruptcy make it difficult get a work visa?

Here in the US, it's hard for someone with a bankruptcy to find an apartment as almost all rental mgmt./rental mgr's. require a credit check and people with bankruptcies are summarily rejected. Only by finding a sympathetic individual rental mgr. or owner (and paying a very large deposit) have I found places to live, even though I have a good job, re-established my credit as much as possible, have several credit cards and never missed or paid late a rent payment.

Other than the apartment problem, the bankruptcy hasn't affected me here. I have enough savings to live on for well over a year - I don't want to wait 5 more years before the bankruptcy drops off my record before relocating to Hong Kong if possible...

Last edited by rawng; 19-05-2013 at 03:54 PM.