Like Tree24Likes

Salary in HK

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

People who come from mainland China or less developed countries in Asia might have a very different tolerance level to your friends. 20k a month for some is undreamed of riches... for others, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    If it's relevant to your calculation your assumption that decile 1 & 2 only includes domestic helpers is incorrect.
    You mean students? Well anyway, to get a working VISA in HK coming from a foreign country, you are either married to someone making money in Decile 8 or above or you earn that yourself , otherwise you are not allowed in, right? Except in special circumstances where you get granted a working VISA, like a special language skill or so, that's what I heard.
    Last edited by RobRoy; 21-05-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Well that mainly demonstrates that people, broadly speaking, tend to make friends with people with broadly similar lifestyles and incomes.

chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    People who come from mainland China or less developed countries in Asia might have a very different tolerance level to your friends. 20k a month for some is undreamed of riches... for others, not so much.
    2011 Average in China.

Many of the factory workers across in Shenzhen earn around 1800 to 2300 RMB a month now.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    You mean students? Well anyway, to get a working VISA in HK coming from a foreign country, you are either married to someone making money in Decile 8 or above or you earn that yourself , otherwise you are not allowed in, right? Except in special circumstances where you get granted a working VISA, like a special language skill or so, that's what I heard.
    This is incorrect in more ways than I have fingers to count the ways in which it is incorrect but your broad point that people very similar to you will tend to have broadly similar lifestyles and salary expectations seems perfectly likely and uncontroversial though without needing any statistical support.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I suspect the mean salary is considerably higher than the median... distorted by high income professionals who earn many multiples of the median income. I think median is a preferable method to use in this scenario as it ignores outliers.
    That's exactly what I mean!

As always, any statistics need to be put in context....

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    This is incorrect in more ways than I have fingers to count the ways in which it is incorrect but your broad point that people very similar to you will tend to have broadly similar lifestyles and salary expectations seems perfectly likely and uncontroversial though without needing any statistical support.
    Ok, let's just drop this topic.. ..my point was well educated people reallocating from where-ever in the world for a job opportunity in HK make quite a decent amount of money here, which drowns in the statistics of all the low wage jobs and the huge wealth gaps.

So whenever a thread comes up with, "Hi, my name is ABC and reallocating from CDF, I got a job offer of 40K per month, I have 2 children and a wife, will I be well off in HK?"

And then the answer comes in in the tunes of "The average income in HK is 10K, you will be making 4x that, you should be totally fine" That doesn't give a very clear picture of how the average person coming from the similar background as ABC manage.

It would be more helpful to be able to say, on average people moving here has a income per family of 75K per month, given that you get 40K for your family, you will manage, but it will be tough given that the average expat doesn't live here in overly excess.

Anyway.. ..move a long..
    Last edited by RobRoy; 21-05-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Ok, let's just drop this topic.. ..my point was well educated people reallocating from where-ever in the world for a job opportunity in HK make quite a decent amount of money here, which drowns in the statistics of all the low wage jobs and the huge wealth gaps.

So whenever a thread comes up with, "Hi, my name is ABC and reallocating from CDF, I got a job offer of 40K per month, I have 2 children and a wife, will I be well off in HK?"

And then the answer comes in in the tunes of "The average income in HK is 10K, you will be making 4x that, you should be totally fine" That doesn't give a very clear picture of how the average person coming from the similar background as ABC manage.

It would be more helpful to be able to say, on average people moving here has a income per family of 75K per month, given that you get 40K for your family, you will manage, but it will be tough given that the average expat doesn't live here in overly excess.

Anyway.. ..move a long..

Agree 100% but that doesnt make for a good old argument which is why many peeps come on here those days.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app
    chris_yang22 likes this.

Anyway.. ..move a long..

I understood you the entire time.... It took me a while to realize that this 'expat' site is a bit different from what some might expect. A vast majority of the posters on here are not recent expats, in fact most seem like they have lived in Hong Kong the majority of their adult life. Furthermore, the majority seem to be married to locals.

It is useless to compare an expat package to that of a local making 10K a year for countless reasons.

But by making that comparison it is their way of politely and perhaps jealously saying..."stop being arrogant, and be appreciative you are making that amount" "a local would die for that salary"....

Anyway.. ..move a long..
    Yes, definitely. Expats always have a sense of entitlement when it comes to overseas postings so we do this to make them feel better.........

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast