Like Tree24Likes

Salary in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Salary in HK

Hi all,

I have taken up employment in a HK school at around $48,500 per month (no housing allowance). My partner will be earning a similar amount.

I've never lived in HK and I'm just wondering whether this is considered good money there. We are hoping to find an apartment in the Sheung Wan or Mid Levels area for about 20,000.

What are the typical costs of electricity, water, Internet, mobile phone contracts etc? Would $2000 a month do the trick?

Thanks!!

Salary sounds about right although no housing allowance is odd if you are at a big international school. The typical costs of those things are less than 2000.

That's about 5 times the average salary so you'll be fine.

$10K ?!

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    That's about 5 times the average salary so you'll be fine.
    Ye, i heard that $10k is the average. i just don't get how locals survive.

i don't get how bus companies survive, or taxi drivers or the MTR etc etc.

i just don't get HK!

sorry for hijacking!

Quote Originally Posted by mkojin:
    Hi all,

I have taken up employment in a HK school at around $48,500 per month (no housing allowance). My partner will be earning a similar amount.

I've never lived in HK and I'm just wondering whether this is considered good money there. We are hoping to find an apartment in the Sheung Wan or Mid Levels area for about 20,000.

What are the typical costs of electricity, water, Internet, mobile phone contracts etc? Would $2000 a month do the trick?

Thanks!!
    The median salary is HK is $10k, not the average...

$48k is good money if you're used to less.....a lot of the bankers here would snigger...

In my opinion, with both of you on that salary you will be very comfortable......I would spend less on rent by living in the NTs and run a car! Where are you teaching?

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    The median salary is HK is $10k, not the average...

$48k is good money if you're used to less.....a lot of the bankers here would snigger...

In my opinion, with both of you on that salary you will be very comfortable......I would spend less on rent by living in the NTs and run a car! Where are you teaching?

Hi all!

Thanks very much for your great advice.

I will be teaching at HKUGA College - a DSS school down south of the island.

My problem is that wherever I have moved to in my life I have felt the need to be one of those idiots who needs everything at their doorstep!

Sounds like living costs are cheaper than Australia (except for rent! My god!!!) so we should be fine.

Any other info- keep it coming!:-)?

Original Post Deleted
    Fair call but most people, when they say the average are referring to the mean IMO.......

I wonder what the mean salary is in HK...?

A 'mean' salary for me is 200k a month.....

Sent from somewhere....

INXS likes this.

I think you have to budget at least 25 000 / month if you want to leave in those areas..

Original Post Deleted
    I would like to see a median salary for people who doesn't have perm. res.

My guess is that that median salary would come up around 50K per month.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast