Like Tree15Likes

Following girlfriend to HK - possible on tourist Visa?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    Serviced?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Yes. They have both serviced and non-serviced options.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Depends which tunnel you take. For Central via WHT - about 300 - maybe slightly less.

Via CHT, more like 250-270 depending on traffic.

But I've only taken taxi's maybe less than 10 times since moving here. When I do take them, synonymous with the "taxi home after a night out" is after a night hike, when I take a taxi from Parkview to Gold Coast, via CHT, for about 260.

There are plenty of buses (the 962 (N962) runs 24 hours, at 30min intervals overnight); there are very fast public light buses from Causeway Bay (take about 40 mins); you can take the MTR to Tsing Yi and pick up a public light bus which takes 15 mins from Tsing Yi - plenty of options other than taxi.
    Thanks. I need to start thinking about a place to move to within the next 8-12 months. Just starting to weigh up some options.

Curious why the OP is so keen on a serviced apartment?? It increases rental cost and limits options. Since the OP isn't planning to work, surely a bit of housework isn't too much to ask from him?

I would guess, given his trade, OP may be intending to do some freelance work from home but probably wouldn't like to declare this illegal activity on an internet forum. Just a guess, mind! if not, he has a very generous girlfriend!

Any plans of marriage? If so that would solve everything but I'm not suggesting a marriage of convenience

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Curious why the OP is so keen on a serviced apartment?? It increases rental cost and limits options. Since the OP isn't planning to work, surely a bit of housework isn't too much to ask from him?
    I would just ignore that. In many places, the word "serviced apartment" is synonymous with "somewhere to rent for a short period of time which includes furniture". I don't think many from overseas realise the size of the rental market here, or how common it is to rent or how much choice they have or how often you can get some furniture in a normal rental or that even if you can't it's cheaper to take a quick trip to Ikea! I would have asked about "serviced apartments" before arriving. I normally tend to ignore the word when it comes from folks from the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I would guess, given his trade, OP may be intending to do some freelance work from home but probably wouldn't like to declare this illegal activity on an internet forum. Just a guess, mind! if not, he has a very generous girlfriend!
    If he is working for someone from back home (ie in the UK) then it's not illegal.

Would you consider his girlfriend still to be "generous" if she was his wife? Do you consider the vast, vast number of blokes who support their girlfriends (and wives) to be "generous" or do you just consider that to be "normal"?

You can get serviced apartments for 20k the OP is after. for $20-$22k you can go to the Harbourfront Horizon or the other one across the road for slightly cheaper.

http://www.horizonhotels.com.hk/index_en.html

I assume the OP will be able to put some money towards living seeing he will be freelancing and earning some cash. I would say it wouldn't be all one way.

God. the tone on this site is so arrogant and negative a lot of the time. not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by braddles:
    God. the tone on this site is so arrogant and negative a lot of the time. not cool.
    It has to do with the volume and frequency of the questions from people interested in moving here. A lot of which can just be answered by doing a quick search in the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    If he is working for someone from back home (ie in the UK) then it's not illegal.
    What? That's complete bollocks!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast