Like Tree15Likes

Following girlfriend to HK - possible on tourist Visa?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    That simply doesn't work. When I came to HK first I was employed by a UK company, my boss was in Shanghai, and (for a while at least) I had no staff reporting to me here. I also spent over 200 days a year outside HK on business. Are you suggesting I needn't have bothered with a visa?

Also, what about tax? The OP wouldn't be liable for UK tax after being out for more than 6 months so are you saying he would be tax-free?
    The UK tax resident rules have changed, and as OP will have no overseas home, and if he spends 30 days in UK in what is deemed to be his home before leaving, then he passes the new Automatic UK resident test for the entire year...and possibly longer.

Supposed to make the system easier. If you ask me it has made it 10 times more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    The UK tax resident rules have changed, and as OP will have no overseas home, and if he spends 30 days in UK in what is deemed to be his home before leaving, then he passes the new Automatic UK resident test for the entire year...and possibly longer.

Supposed to make the system easier. If you ask me it has made it 10 times more complicated.
    This is a useful summary from PWC of the new rules which kicked in for this UK tax year (i.e. 2013-2014):

http://www.pwc.com/en_JG/jg/publicat...dence-test.pdf
    Gruntfuttock and retepo like this.

Sorry for the late reply on this and thankyou for everyone who's replied, it's given me lots to research. I probably shouldn't have asked as vague a question as I did, but the negative feedback has been a laugh to read too.

One thing that struck me is that I don't want to be seen to be trying to take advantage of the system, or run the risk of being denied entry by leaving and re-entering too much. So it looks like I'm going to fly out to HK with my girlfriend for a week to help her settle in, come back to the UK and then fly out next year to have a six month break in HK. We'll just have to accept that that the situation will probably involve us spending some time apart. Of course marriage would solve this but I feel it would cheapen the whole thing as I wouldn't want to think I was only in it for a free holiday!

Regarding the accommodation - I guess I was using the word "Serviced" as a byword for furnished apartment - we're currently looking at options and the employer is going to help out with suggestions, and put up my GF whilst she finds a place. I realise that she might have to put up with a long (50 minute +) commute, but I think she'll only be able to know this when she's had a taste of the lifestyle. Either way we are planning something around the 16,000 for accommodation (I did see that you could get a serviced appartment for around that region here: http://www.royalview.com.hk/, although I see transport would be an issue).

I'm not planning on working whilst in HK, but will look up the various regulations so I know what's what.

Sorry, thought the forum allowed threaded replies - in response to bibbju's comment re Immigration and being seen as residing "illegally"

Thanks - this post really struck a chord with me. I don't want to be seen as trying to play the system so I think we'll have to live with being apart for some time. I really should have married her before all this started

Last edited by retepo; 02-06-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Ok, so now we've decided to alter out plans somewhat. My GF and I are going to fly out at the end of August and I am going to stay for 10 days to help her settle in. I'll then return to the UK for the rest of the year and then fly our for a longer (6 month) visit next year, after which I'll return home. Hopefully this will avoid me looking like I am trying to "reside" in HK as I will essentially just be taking a long holiday. We'll be apart for a few months but hopefully we'll cope .

Thanks for all the advice everyone, it's been really helpful. We're still looking at accommodation etc, and will follow up your suggestions.

OP, you might find that being apart for a while is actually quite good for your rel'ship. My boyfriend lived in Denmark (for work) on and off for the first 2 years we were together. I know it's a much shorter distance than you'll have to deal with but it did mean that when we were together, we really made the time count. We got all of the good bits and none of the dull chores (as we'd do those when home alone).

Although maybe this should be a cautionary tale as after he moved back to England, I got very bored doing dull chores with him so we called it a day lol. ;-)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5