Like Tree168Likes

Is Hong Kong really that undesirable when it comes to bringing up a child?

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

I've been reading this with interest as we are moving out to HK at the end of the month with our nearly 6 months old baby.

We've just spent a week in HK (my first visit) and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was no busier than central London with much cheaper and quicker public transport and taxis. A big plus was that the locals seem to love babies, so our little one got lots of friendly attention.

We lived in London for 7 years and currently live in a small village in the south of England where I am reliant on car to get anywhere, taxis are either impossible to find or very expensive and there is only 1 bus a day. HK has much more available transport.

I'm not overly concerned about the schools as we should be back before she's school age, but we'll try to get her name down just in case.

Finally the facilities available in HK accommodation are fantastic compared to UK (depending on budget). Many complexes have indoor and outdoor pools, playground, gym, shuttle buses, etc. I have to drive 20mins for a pool at the moment. There are also fabulous beaches and countryside I can't wait to explore in HK.

One more thing, I don't know if it's just me, but I didn't notice loads of pigeons in HK - that's a definite plus over London!

If you get a good relocation package I would definitely go for it.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailingWife:
    One more thing, I don't know if it's just me, but I didn't notice loads of pigeons in HK - that's a definite plus over London!
    That's because the brown kites eat 'em!

Joking... about the kites eating the pigeons but you will see these birds soaring between the high rises.

[QUOTE=Claire ex-ax;2429910]It's not so much the city in question, it's about having the right attitude. The OP sounds like the like of person who will give Hong Kong a go. I met many like her. I met many the complete opposite. Some people never want to leave. Some can't wait to leave.

The only things in life you regret are the things you didn't do.[/QUOTE]

I wish that were.....believe me, I really wish that were true....

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

[QUOTE=closedcasket;2429974]

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    It's not so much the city in question, it's about having the right attitude. The OP sounds like the like of person who will give Hong Kong a go. I met many like her. I met many the complete opposite. Some people never want to leave. Some can't wait to leave.

The only things in life you regret are the things you didn't do.[/QUOTE]

I wish that were.....believe me, I really wish that were true....
    Well, I'm not including drunken tattoos.

[QUOTE=Claire ex-ax;2429990]

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:

Well, I'm not including drunken tattoos.
    Or unwanted pregnancies
    Cocaine addictions
    Spousal cheating.
    Last edited by closedcasket; 07-06-2013 at 04:06 PM.

kim, you accuse me of accuse me of assuming something about you, a person I don't know yet you pretty much do the same. I am not offended by your dislike for HK, I am just presenting a different perspective. Actually if you were more forthright in the beginning it would have been better contribution - you could have just said, we came for the money, sacrificed our kid's happiness for three years, tried to make up for it in other ways and can't wait to leave. No where have you stated that you remotely tried to immerse yourself in HK (hang with friends - all expats presumably, because the local people drive you nuts like those in NZL - your words not mine, dreaming of France). You're just like Watercooler in that respect, and I suspect a great many other expats.

Watercooler and virago like this.

[QUOTE=closedcasket;2430026]

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:

Or unwanted pregnancies
    Cocaine addictions
    Spousal cheating.
    Only if those were things you wanted to try in the first place but did not get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    kim, you accuse me of accuse me of assuming something about you, a person I don't know yet you pretty much do the same. I am not offended by your dislike for HK, I am just presenting a different perspective. Actually if you were more forthright in the beginning it would have been better contribution - you could have just said, we came for the money, sacrificed our kid's happiness for three years, tried to make up for it in other ways and can't wait to leave. No where have you stated that you remotely tried to immerse yourself in HK (hang with friends - all expats presumably, because the local people drive you nuts like those in NZL - your words not mine, dreaming of France). You're just like Watercooler in that respect, and I suspect a great many other expats.
    Agreed. But a slight clarification, I was like that (Isolated from the locals, cut-off from the rest of the city), 10+ years ago when I first arrived. Not now.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 07-06-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    threelittlepigs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    hang with friends - all expats presumably, because the local people drive you nuts like those in NZL - your words not mine, dreaming of France).
    Absolutely my words. I don't get the personal attacks in here. Must be a Hong Kong thing, the French expat forums are so much less argumentative.
    Skyhook and closedcasket like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Absolutely my words. I don't get the personal attacks in here. Must be a Hong Kong thing, the French expat forums are so much less argumentative.
    Actually it's a geoexpat thing.

Don't worry, you will get the occasional gem of really useful and insightful post here for every mindless bickering.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 07-06-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    kimwy66 and z754103 like this.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast