Like Tree168Likes

Is Hong Kong really that undesirable when it comes to bringing up a child?

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

you can plenty of space living in a rural village house in NT, 700 sq ft as low as HK$5000 per month, even a full 2100 sq ft house, however, commuting to central may take 1.30hr and people choose to live in convience in shoeboxes, driving a car is also affordable

also these rural houses set idyllic country side with clean and minimal pollution are plentiful

i am also from uk (live there for over 20 years), basically every place has advantages and disadvantages, ie, uk has high crime, high tax, drugs pushers are common there, dull weather for 300 days a year and chavs, but has world famous music festivals, superb live sports, nice pubs as well

I used to live in remote sha tau kok village for 3 years (greenery everywhere, inbetween two mountains and vast fields of grassland) and I have even seen herds of peaceful boars.

I live in fanling, great compromise in affordable space, parking, lifestyle and commuting to work

Last edited by imparanoic; 06-06-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Watercooler, carang and z754103 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    you can plenty of space living in a rural village house in NT, 700 sq ft as low as HK$5000 per month, even a full 2100 sq ft house, however, commuting to central may take 1.30hr and people choose to live in convience in shoeboxes, driving a car is also affordable

also these rural houses set idyllic country side with clean and minimal pollution are plentiful

i am also from uk (live there for over 20 years), basically every place has advantages and disadvantages, ie, uk has high crime, high tax, dull weather for 300 days a year and chavs, but has world famous music festivals, superb live sports, nice pubs as well

I used to live in remote sha tau kok village for 3 years (greenery everywhere, inbetween two mountains and vast fields of grassland) and I have even seen herds of peaceful boars.

I live in fanling, great compromise in affordable space, parking, lifestyle and commuting to work
    i also have a 6 month kid as well

Oh, I missed the newborn part and thought it was an older child. That changes things completely as MovingIn pointed out.

HK will be fine with a newborn, in some cases much, much easier if you decide that you want domestic help. Run high quality HEPA filters to mitigate pollution concerns, crank up your air conditioning for much of they year, and you will be fine with the baby.

The only thing I can think of pointing out is that you might want to consider car ownership as part of your living expenses so that you can mount a baby seat. (I know a lot of mothers here who do frequent taxi trips who just carry their babies in their arms).

Last edited by jgl; 06-06-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    Dhajasi and carang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    no drug issues in school
    You jest surely?
    kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    You jest surely?
    the scale is immensely different between uk and hk, it's reported that uk has highest drugs usage/or at tried among secondary schools in europe ( telegraph), some involving class a drugs

while in HK, it's substantially low compared to any other europe countrues, main ice and ketamine

same as crime rates, when is the last time you had to hide your iphone, nice watches when walking at night time in HK or take your car stereo facial panel when you leave the car
    threelittlepigs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by charlestang:
    Quite frankly, our education system is bad.
    Quite frankly you are simply misguided.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opin...-30205003.html

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...743&con_type=1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20498356

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    same as crime rates, when is the last time you had to hide your iphone, nice watches when walking at night time in HK or take your car stereo facial panel when you leave the car
    Never, just like I never felt the need to do those things in the UK either.
    kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Never, just like I never felt the need to do those things in the UK either.
    did you live in a leafy, affluent area or rural place in UK, ask anyone from any UK major city/town if they have never dones this, BTW, my uk home is not from an inner city area

I had my mobile stolen in london underground, car broken in brimingham and bristol ( next to busy restuarnt, cheap [email protected] stole my ruck sack full of clothes and sleeping bag cos they could not find my high end pioneer facial unit), my house in birmingham was broken in twice ( now i have a nacross/insurance approved alarm system for past 15 years, no break ins)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    You jest surely?
    Have not read about any drug problems in HK schools except for the odd case here and there in ESF schools. Drugs in clubs and K establishments are another matter, but then again it is the parent's responsibility to keep their kids out of these places.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhajasi:
    Hi,

We have a newborn at home and hubby just got an offer for a role in HK. We have been asking different people regarding their opinons on bringing up a child in HK, everyone have been saying all the negative things... Lack of space, air pollution and a highly pressured education system. All the answers were, if your priority is the well being of your children, don't come to HK! (We currently live in the UK).

Is it really that bad in bringing up a child over there? It has always been my wish to live in HK, but I almost feel selfish now because this move seems to sacrifice my child's happiness???
    Your child will be happy wherever you both are.
    But your kid is a newborn and there is no worry for schooling for at least a couple of years.
    Pollution is an issue in HK and government is somewhat trying to address it. Slowly but still trying.
    Summer periods are hot (maximum 35 degrees), very humid and rain (but not monsoon). Winter periods are very pleasant in HK. Food is great, nightlife is amazing, tax is modest, and best of all - its safe.

Everybody lives in apartments here and though it can be smaller than what you're used to in the UK - this is just the story here and once you've become familiar with the city and the ppl - you will fall in love with it...

good luck....
    Last edited by amitsingh_hk; 06-06-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    carang likes this.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast