Like Tree168Likes

Is Hong Kong really that undesirable when it comes to bringing up a child?

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    did you live in a leafy, affluent area or rural place in UK, ask anyone from any UK major city/town if they have never dones this, BTW, my uk home is not from an inner city area

I had my mobile stolen in london underground, car broken in brimingham and bristol ( next to busy restuarnt, cheap [email protected] stole my ruck sack full of clothes and sleeping bag cos they could not find my high end pioneer facial unit), my house in birmingham was broken in twice ( now i have a nacross/insurance approved alarm system for past 15 years, no break ins)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...frica-U-S.html

yes, it's a taboid

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22275280

looks like uk is changing according to bbc
    MovingIn07 likes this.

did you live in a leafy, affluent area or rural place in UK, ask anyone from any UK major city/town if they have never dones this, BTW, my uk home is not from an inner city area

I had my mobile stolen in london underground, car broken in brimingham and bristol ( next to busy restuarnt, cheap [email protected] stole my ruck sack full of clothes and sleeping bag cos they could not find my high end pioneer facial unit), my house in birmingham was broken in twice ( now i have a nacross/insurance approved alarm system for past 15 years, no break ins)
    Sounds like you were a real victim in the UK. FWIW I lived in Whitechapel and Stepney (inner city areas) and never felt the need to worry about being a crime victim.

There is no doubt HK has lower levels of personal crime than the UK, but your over the top description of a crime ridden UK diminishes the credibility of your argument.
    closedcasket and bibbju like this.

For what it's worth I grew up in hk and LOVED it. Swimming pools, rollerskating in the playground downstairs, boat parties, ocean park, water world (RIP), spending pocket money on slushies in 7-11, buying cheap tat in the markets and little independent clothes shops, eating loads of different foods, holidays round asia.....

Yes there are problems with hk. But as someone said, your child will be happy if you guys are happy (at the start anyway!) Try it for a couple of years, if you don't like it you can go home.

I've got a baby and I would prefer to raise him here than where I was living in london.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

imparanoic and carang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    For what it's worth I grew up in hk and LOVED it. Swimming pools, rollerskating in the playground downstairs, boat parties, ocean park, water world (RIP), spending pocket money on slushies in 7-11, buying cheap tat in the markets and little independent clothes shops, eating loads of different foods, holidays round asia.....

Yes there are problems with hk. But as someone said, your child will be happy if you guys are happy (at the start anyway!) Try it for a couple of years, if you don't like it you can go home.

I've got a baby and I would prefer to raise him here than where I was living in london.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile
    ironically, i am put off of slush or dispensing drinks in 7-11 as i found a large fly embedded in ice cube in 1993, also, btw, uk has similar slush puppy

I used to enjoy the many arcades palours in the golden era in HK as well, far more variety and much more branches than uk, shame, it's a dying industry

... uk has high crime, high tax, drugs pushers are common there, dull weather for 300 days a year and chavs....
    Where the hell were you living?! Stonebridge Park housing estate??! Your description of the UK is pretty much unrecognisable. Some artistic licence perhaps!

"High" crime and "high" tax is all relative depending on where you live, what you earn and what you define as "normal". I lived in London's poorest borough (Tower Hamlets) for 15 years and never came across ANY drugs pushers (although I wasn't exactly looking for them!). Neither was I mugged, nor burgled, nor had any other trouble.

As for chavs, annoying as they may be, I think I prefer them to the mainlander stereotype. After all, chavs and mainlanders are both just stereotypes.

I don't have kids but my personal view is that I wouldn't want to bring kids up in HK. But neither would I want to bring kids up in London. I grew up in the UK countryside and would like my future (if any) kids to have a similar childhood. In UK cities, kids seem to grow up way too quickly and I wouldn't want my kids growing up in UK thinking they're social deviants for daring to cross the road without waiting for the green man.
    kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    How you will view Hong Kong depends on so many things. Unlike some people here, I had a fantastic life in UK, but I did live in a village in Yorkshire. If you are coming from Inner Birmingham, you may find it not much different. If you are coming from somewhere similar to me, you will notice a big difference, and you may feel your child is missing out. I do.

It's never as simple as this is good, this is bad. Hong Kong has a few good points, although personally I could only list two, but again it depends on you, your family, your experiences. No one can share your exact viewpoint.

Like Closedcasket, I think back to my childhood (growing up in New Zealand) and feel disappointed that my daughter isn't experiencing something similar. All the (over-priced) afterschool activities in Hong Kong can't make up for that. Sure she speaks mandarin, she gets to take lots of overseas holidays, but when she says to me she misses her old school and her old house still after 3 years ( she was 6 when we left UK) I think 'What are we doing here'?'. We came with a life plan and a focus on something we thought was worth it, but somedays I wonder if it really is that important.

Luckily, I know where the airport is when we finally say enough...
    I live in London, so the contrast living in HK is slightly less than let's say Cornwall or Bath. I do still find London still has a lot more outdoor space to offer.. Hyde Park/ Green Park etc. Although you can really only enjoy those for a few months in the summer. May I ask what drove you to HK then? Career?

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    Sheesh you guys are all so "grass is greener" types. Here are a few good reasons - no guns, no drug issues in school, no metal detectors at the door to school, safe streets, great public transportation system, beaches and hills within 1/2 hour from urban areas, exposure to a completely new culture, relatively higher status, blah blah blah. Kids are very adaptable, but kids also can read adult body language. Parents that don't want to be here leave same impression on to their kids.
    I do agree in certain ways, it is the "grass is greener" effect. When people think of living in UK/ Australia etc, most people living in HK will just think of the big house and the outdoor space, all the nice parks to enjoy during the summer. I do agree this is one of the big pro in staying, but I also think of the long cold winter months where we will mostly just stuck at home or in a shopping mall. Kids will be in Nursery from 9-5, we will have no help here... (Both of our families are not in the UK). Unfortunately, my partner prefers staying... Hence why we are so torn in making a decision. We have to make a decision by this Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Dhajasi:
    May I ask what drove you to HK then? Career?
    Husband got offered a shedload of money and rapid career advancement to transfer with his company.
    closedcasket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Husband got offered a shedload of money and rapid career advancement to transfer with his company.

I was out when I replied, I should clarify that with a bit of extra information. My husband was offered this rapid promotion because no one more senior in his company (large multi-national with UK head office) would come to Hong Kong. Singapore, yes, Australia, yes, but Hong Kong could not attract anyone of the same level or one grade lower as the vacant position.

And there was no one locally with anywhere near the experience required. So he got a promotion probably 5 years ahead of what he would have done in UK. But they still had to significantly sweeten the deal on top of the promotion.

Hong Kong is about trade-offs, there is no clear answer anyone on here can give. It depends what you (or in this case your husband) are prepared to trade to come here, and if you value what you can gain above what you may feel you are losing.
    INXS and carang like this.

Hi Dhajasi,
    Hong Kong is a very nice place to work , live in and race you children.
    Space issue? I dont think it will be an issue for you, I am sure your husband's earning is way way higher than the normal family in Hong Kong.

Education wise, its true it depends on the school.. It does not mean the school is not an international school is expected to be low standard.

Most of the family living in Hong Kong specially for expats, they normally hire a Filipino Domestic Helper to assist them with so many things. Many of them are professionals like nurses, teachers, midwife etc. They can help you not only with all the household chores but can also help you takes care of the baby, and/or help your kindergarten-primary schooler with their school activities.
    I hope you guys can come to Hong Kong, this is a great city.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast