bringing our basset hound to hong kong

Closed Thread

bringing our basset hound to hong kong

My husband and I are moving to Hong Kong in September 2008, I'm interested to learn about good vets on Hong Kong Island and if there are any other bassset hound owners. Our move is long term (5 years) and assisted.

Hi,

I walk my dog every day in mid-levels & have seen at least 3 Basset Hounds there.

As for good vets, I use a practice on Mosque Street - they are very good. Do you know where you are moving to yet?

Plenty of people have dogs in HK.

However, do remember that where you live will make a huge difference. In the mid-levels and a lot of the south side you will be in an apartment and therefore it takes getting used to having a dog in an apt. However, if you live in the New Territories or the non-expat areas you could be in a house with a yard and therefore its easier.

Regardless, HK is dog friendly. We live in an apt and have a dog and its just fine.

Plenty of pet shops and very good vets all round.

Hey Soozals,

one thing Hong Kong has a lot of, is Australian and British qualified vets, so your basset hound will be in safe hands in the event it needs treatment.

We use Victoria Veterinarian Clinics which have 3 locations in the NT, all of the vets there, we have taken our cats to for their yearly jab, are Aussies.

Also, as Katanga has mentioned, having a medium to large size dog, it's highly recommended that a village house with its own yard be utilised.

Friends of ours have a Rhodesian Ridge-back, who is the most awesome dog, and they have a lovely lawned back yard for him, not to mention a beach within walking distance of their house. Their dog is happy as Larry, and never barks as a result.

Last edited by Skyhook; 28-04-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Dear CaraExpat

Many thanks for your note. At the moment we don't know exactly where we will be living. However, we are coming over for a rekkie in June and may know more then.