Like Tree3Likes

Moving from Mainland to Hong Kong : when to send our boxes ? (quite urgent)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by zimago:
    (of course you then need HK residency permit to IMPORT into HK)
    This is rubbish - HK is a free port: anyone can ship almost anything in and out whether resident or not.

I think if you would need, the best solution is to store in China instead of HK for the cost saving.
    otherwise, I think you can discuss with the logistics supplier, if they can provide a storage in Shen zhen instead.

By the way, I just start to work in HK after I got my visa, I used SF for the logistics, it took me only 3 days to receive them.
    and the fees are not really high.
    so no matter where you ship out actually, I think the fee will not really change, could be the storage which cost.

Hi there.

Been looking on the forum but didn't find a clear answer to our specific case : we'll be moving from Mainland to Hong Kong soon, and of course at the beginning we'll enter on a tourist visa, have rented a serviced apartment (we'll stay there for at least one month, until we find our own flat). I will probably be in the middle of a work visa application process (currently discussing with my company), but maybe not (decided to move to HK whatever happens).

We'll have about 20 boxes to move from our China apartment to Hong Kong, we'll be using a HK based company that has offices in Mainland to collect them.

Question : what happens if we send those boxes through HK customs, carrying our names of course, and have them sent to :

A) our movers' company's storage place OR
    B) directly to our serviced apartment ?

(if it makes any difference ...).

Will we be considered as "Residents" of Hong Kong and therefore not allowed to stay on a tourist visa if we do so ?

If there is a risk I'd prefer to store them in Mainland until I have my HK work permit (don't know if I can do that by the way, maybe Mainland customs require to send them out right after we've cleared them ?), but of course it would be better if we can get our stuff right after we've entered Hong Kong ... ;-)

Thanks in advance for your help !

Z

Agree with Gruntfuttock: HK customs you don't need to take into your consideration unless you have alcohol or tobacco products.

But beware, should you for any reason decide to go back to the Mainland (you never know what happens in a new situation), once your goods are in HK, Mainland customs will require you to pay import duty even you already paid them when you imported the stuff last time to Mainland or you bought all this stuff in Mainland but don't have the bills anymore. I can't tell how much it is in your case, but for my 5 boxes from HK to Shenzhen it was 3500 RMB.

I suggest transport to Shenzhen first and store it there until you get settled in HK. Once this is done, hire private van, load up in SZ and bring it over border by yourself, unload, finish, or make it the more expensive but insured way by logistic company. And if you really want some of the stuff earlier, you have the flexibility to get one of the cartons within 2 hours to your new temporary home, SZ isn't that far as Beijing

There is one question I am not clear what you mean: "Will we be considered as "Residents" of Hong Kong and therefore not allowed to stay on a tourist visa if we do so ?" What you want with a tourist visa if you are resident already?!

@Virago : yep they proposed that to me, but it would potentially take too long, so ... Not an option.

@imparanoic : exactly, not to mention the hassle of doing that myself, when it's included in the price and those guys know what they do, are insured, and will write down what's necessary to facilitate going through Mainland customs ...

@Gruntfuttock : well in any case I don't want to risk that immigration and customs talk to each other, so I will have my HK residency and work permits by the time I bring in my boxes so ... Doesn't really matter.

@Kyrol : I have the prices for storage in HK and Mainland, to the contrary of what most people here think, it's not THAT cheaper to store in Mainland. In HK, they would probably use some facility outside the city anyway, which makes the prices more than affordable ; if I store in Shenzhen, I will have to pay extra according to the movers ...

@domim : hum, I don't know what you're talking about : I will move my stuff from Mainland to HK, the next time I send out my stuff will be to Europe ... What you're saying is that if I re-enter Mainald for whatever reason, I mean just myself WITHOUT my stuff, say for vacation, they might ask me to pay something ? I don't understand why, could you be more specific ? Also, private van etc. ... Not for me, I hired a full-service company that will guarantee a door-to-door delivery from Beijing to Hong Kong, specifically because I don't want this hassle ...

Last edited by zimago; 12-07-2013 at 12:57 PM.

How I did it many years ago (without having HK work visa - but work contract already):
    I had 30 or more cartons - we just shipped them to my employers address & once I arrived in HKG I moved them to my new place. Be aware that for each carton you most probably must make a clear list about the content inside. Regarding your work visa if once confirmed & you get that sticker:
    Just go for a 1 day trip to Shenzhen & enter HKG again with that sticker in passport same or next day.
    Finish.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    ...so I will have my HK residency and work permits by the time I bring in my boxes so ...
    Just a heads up and to save you from trying to find info on such a thing, there is no such thing as a "residency permit" in Hong Kong. Once you have your employment visa - and it's been activated - you make an appointment for your HKID card, which can be done online. You'll be given a temporary ID card with your ID number and can collect the actual plastic chipped card when it's ready. There is no charge for the HKID card as it is a legal requirement for anyone with the right to stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days.

Even with the temporary ID card you can start opening bank accounts, etc. Anything that requires an HKID card number.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 12-07-2013 at 02:02 PM.

I mean if you decide after some time to move back to the Mainland for any reason you will have to pay the Mainland duty to import your personal stuff back to Mainland. Example: you fail the probation period and after some months without salary you want to cut your rent and daily life expenses by moving to Mainland.

@DeletedUser : yup, reminds me I'll have to do that ASAP upon landing ;-)
    @domim : ah OK understood ; well then that will never happen, our next destination after HK will be back home (Europe).

Thanks everyone for your help on this !

Cheers,

Z