Like Tree1Likes

Most bang for your Buck?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Most bang for your Buck?

Hi all,

Me and my gf are thinking about moving in together next year. Currently I live in CWB paying 14k for a modern studio flat. The flat is really nice and spacious enough for me (about 500 sq ft), but not big enough for 2 people and all of their possessions/clothes.

She currently lives with her family in Kennedy Town, which is an area we are definitely considering, as there are a lot of good new bars and restaurants there, and it's not as busy/stressful as other areas close to Central. I think the prices for flats are ok too, plus it has a large Welcome supermarket not too far away.

We checked out Park Island at the weekend, but I was very underwhelmed. The beach was poor, and the choice of restaurants was very limited near the beach. I expected there to be a lot more going on to be honest, as I had read some very positive reviews on the internet. Maybe the flats/complexes and facilities are good, but if there is nothing else to do there, then you're always going to be going back to HK Island/Kowloon for activities.

I've only been to DB once and I wasn't thinking about it as a place to live when I went there, but it seemed ok, very Western. We will check it out again this weekend when we go to Silvermine Beach.

Another idea was Sai Kung, but the commute puts me off, I would prefer somewhere where the commute is around 30 mins max, and Sai Kung would be closer to an hour. We couldn't afford taxis each way every day.

Can anyone suggest other areas where the local area has enough going on, and has a nice 'buzz', with Western style supermarkets, restaurants and bars in walking distance, where a modern style 2 bedroom flat around 700 sq ft + would be 15-20k per month? It would be nice to have a sea view too and a beach close by. As I said we are willing to commute roughly 30 mins.

CWB is stressing me out now, always fighting through the crowds, so a peaceful area would be appreciated, especially after a long day at work!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tbh

You're asking a lot!

I think DB would be your best compromise

Kennedy Town has places like The Merton which are about your budget, but there's no beach.

I would not suggest staying so close to the in laws.

I don't know the area well but what about Aberdeen? It should be about 30 minutes to central but only a guess. Not far from repulse Bay for a breach.

Sent from somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by Boybranik:
    Hi all,

Me and my gf are thinking about moving in together next year. Currently I live in CWB paying 14k for a modern studio flat. The flat is really nice and spacious enough for me (about 500 sq ft), but not big enough for 2 people and all of their possessions/clothes.

She currently lives with her family in Kennedy Town, which is an area we are definitely considering, as there are a lot of good new bars and restaurants there, and it's not as busy/stressful as other areas close to Central. I think the prices for flats are ok too, plus it has a large Welcome supermarket not too far away.

We checked out Park Island at the weekend, but I was very underwhelmed. The beach was poor, and the choice of restaurants was very limited near the beach. I expected there to be a lot more going on to be honest, as I had read some very positive reviews on the internet. Maybe the flats/complexes and facilities are good, but if there is nothing else to do there, then you're always going to be going back to HK Island/Kowloon for activities.

I've only been to DB once and I wasn't thinking about it as a place to live when I went there, but it seemed ok, very Western. We will check it out again this weekend when we go to Silvermine Beach.

Another idea was Sai Kung, but the commute puts me off, I would prefer somewhere where the commute is around 30 mins max, and Sai Kung would be closer to an hour. We couldn't afford taxis each way every day.

Can anyone suggest other areas where the local area has enough going on, and has a nice 'buzz', with Western style supermarkets, restaurants and bars in walking distance, where a modern style 2 bedroom flat around 700 sq ft + would be 15-20k per month? It would be nice to have a sea view too and a beach close by. As I said we are willing to commute roughly 30 mins.

CWB is stressing me out now, always fighting through the crowds, so a peaceful area would be appreciated, especially after a long day at work!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    if you don't mind a longer commute, gold coast seems ideal for u

Kennedy Town will tick most of your boxes. Sai Ying Pun is also very nice.

- Nice and lively bar / dining scene
    - Variety of supermarkets (1x Wellcome superstore, 2x PnS superstore and 1x Fusion)
    - Small gourmet shops (Hau Wo Street, Belcher's street and Davis Street)
    - 15-20 mins with minibus to CWB, Mong Kok, Central and Pokfulam (nice cinema)
    - 20-25 mins with minibus to Aberdeen and switch to another minibus to Deepwater / Repulse Bay

There are many walk-up buildings which are renovated into modern units. Try Ka On building, Chi Lin Terrace, Serene Court, To Li Garden, Ying Ga Garden, La Maison du Nord, etc.

Best is (if you have time) to pop into a couple of these real estate agents in KT and ask them to show you some apartments so you can have an idea of what is available there. Most of them have keys and can show you a couple. The only thing is that you will indeed live very close to your in laws

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    if you don't mind a longer commute, gold coast seems ideal for u
    I think the commute into Central without the shuttlebus would be annoying. There is a resident bus which goes to Olympic (takes 20mins or so) and after that it's the (crowded) MTR. But I would suggest he look at Sham Tseng. It's closer, it also has a fair bit of outdoor dining and an international supermarket and places with plenty of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Bomber:
    The best bang for your buck would indeed be one of those areas that meet your criteria and within your budget. I'm in love with those areas too and I'm always fiddling with my compass and drawing circles on maps.
    Thirty minutes is a small circumference indeed when taxi's are factored out of the equation. Although if they were factored in, then budget would not be as constraining and the circumference would grow exponentially.
    ? 30 mins from Central is probably about a third of all accomodation in HK! Perhaps even half.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Bomber:
    It's 8 minutes from Causeway Bay to Central by MTR, that's without factoring in the time from turnstiles to platform and the walk to and from the stations.

From Times Square to D'Aguilar St it takes about 23 minutes for a lithe, fit, young adult.

I'd reassess my assertions if I were you.

Feel free to check it out on Google Maps if your phone hasn't had another case of SDS
    When we had a direct resident bus, I made it from the Gold Coast (that's not that far from the China border, for those with no knowledge of geography) to outside Jardine House in Central in 28 minutes regularly. But not during peak traffic hours - then it was more like 45 minutes. Surprising as it may seem to those of you who never leave the island, but buses on a freeway MOVE FASTER THAN THE MTR.

Even on the MTR, some lines cover more distance in less time (Tung Chung line) than others (Tsuan Wan line).

So define your radius carefully, because you can go a long way in 30 minutes depending on your form of transport.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 14-08-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Movingin07 always fails to add the time on at end each of the journey - a 5 minute walk to the bus stop, a few minutes waiting for the bus, and time to get from the last stop to the destination. I used that same shuttle bus whose death she is lamenting and the total commute door to desk was often over an hour. 28 minutes? No way Jose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast