Teaching English in HK and visas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    What scares me is the multitude of punctuation and grammar errors I see above. :P
    Like said elsewhere - typos & errors, left, right & centre... Some "slip up" rarely (pat-pat on the back), while others - meself included - well... liketa blame it on "the rush".

Let's not restrict people, esp. newbies, from logging on and sharing 1-2 worthy (but, more often scatty!) thoughts... or as the breeze takes 'em?

I guess I just hope for better from English teachers, prospective or otherwise.

Thank you for all your replys, I’m going to apply everywhere and get some experience in the UK and hopefully ill be working in HK by the end of the year!

many international schools, including some of the big ones (HKIS, CDNIS, CIS) hire Native English teaching assistants, and it can be a great way to get into the International System if you have no experience, PLUS you often get to go home when the kids go home (eg. 3pm) while the teachers stay later....pay is substantially lower than teacher obv. but so is the workload

Well if us English teachers were writing formal letters/e-mails i'm pretty sure that we'd be grammatically correct, especially with the amount of times we cover such subjects

You may of noticed that this is a forum that we just throw advice and questions at each other.
    Do we start messages on these forums with Dear...?
    Nope.
    Just short messages really with little structure and just written in conversational form.

Sorry to disappoint you.

I was interviewed for a NET job by two people who could barely speak understandable English.

I know at least 5 NET teachers currently working who I can barely understand as well.

HK's education system is messed up, to be honest it's a bit of a crap shoot getting work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon.E.Kong:
    I was interviewed for a NET job by two people who could barely speak understandable English.

I know at least 5 NET teachers currently working who I can barely understand as well.

HK's education system is messed up, to be honest it's a bit of a crap shoot getting work.
    That doesent sound to good! Why couldent they speak English? Were they English teachers?

....they may have been scottish?

(sorry, but there are scottish accents that i can hardly understand either!!LOL! and they are definitely NE speakers!
    i heard that they actually ran english subtitles in england for the movie "trainspotting", so obviously, i'm not the only one with this problem!)

Oh really? Thats the first time I heard that about Trainspotting but it dosent shock me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2