Like Tree30Likes

Is it worth moving to HK on a budget?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Drumcode, I chose to live in Hong Kong before you were born. If I had that same choice today I would make the same decision. Go for it! (Unless you get crippled by UK tax.)

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 06-09-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo
    wtbhotia likes this.

Should be alright to live off of OP, provided you are not picky over where to live in HK and is not a big spender...

Original Post Deleted
    Also known among HK locals as, the toilet of Hong Kong

or is it still, the sexual assault capital of Hong Kong, depending on who you speak to...locally.

Look at the bright side,though, at least it's an improvement over, Tin Shui Wai and Yuen Long

just kidding lol Friday wind up and all
    Last edited by Skyhook; 06-09-2013 at 04:55 PM.

I really dont see how "big" is hong kong. I live in North NT and i go to the Southside for work. takes me around only 75 min from the moment i lock my door to the moment i turn on my desk computer. if it takes an hour to get from one place to another, thats pretty average for public transport. ofcoz im not talking about going to the next station. For example the travel time from Tai Po to TsT takes about 30min to 1 hour coz of waiting for the train, the stations in bewtween, and the driver and time of ride( yes some train drivers like to keep it slow, and morning trains are slow. but night trains though - after 8 is really fast).

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Also known among HK locals as, the toilet of Hong Kong

or is the, the sexual assault capital of Hong Kong, depending on who you speak to...locally.

Look at the bright side,though, at least it's an improvement over, Tin Shui Wai and Yuen Long

just kidding lol
    no body seems to like west NT.. i rmbr a few years ago the tried to build a pagoda for luck in Tin Shui Wai coz people were killing themselves and the media called it the city of misery

Quote Originally Posted by CJ95ZZ:
    ( yes some train drivers like to keep it slow
    That's bollocks - the speed of the train is tightly controlled. In the peak time when East Rail trains are running at 2 minute intervals a moment's thought should tell you that there's a maximum speed they can go to minimise stop/starting between stations (and hence also reduce power consumption). When the frequency reduces to 5 or 6 minutes they can go faster consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    That's bollocks - the speed of the train is tightly controlled. In the peak time when East Rail trains are running at 2 minute intervals a moment's thought should tell you that there's a maximum speed they can go to minimise stop/starting between stations (and hence also reduce power consumption). When the frequency reduces to 5 or 6 minutes they can go faster consistently.
    not trying to argue, u make perfect sense, but overall time is longer actually since for stupid reasons i once actually timed how long it takes from my home station to Hung Hom at peak times and at non peak times such as around 12 pm(there are still differences in speed). But i do want to point out that just because there's more trains running at once, only means u wait less for a ride. Doesnt mean the time to travel is faster.

This is also true. But it does mean that more people per hour can be transported.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    the speed is tightly controlled but lets say the range acceptable is 60-70km/hr. Those 10km/hr are a big factor when u consider that hk isnt very big its kinda like a sports competition. 0.1s in 100m is considered very wide margin but in a 1500m race is nth unless over 5s would be considered a large margin.
    more people will get transported to avoid congestion, but the question was will i get to ptB from ptA faster. kinda like if u take a big bite of food but spend minutes chewing or u take a tiny bite but finish chewing in a second.
    Last edited by CJ95ZZ; 06-09-2013 at 05:22 PM.

OK fair enough. I think it's far to say that average journey times on all forms of transport will be longer in the rush hour than off-peak.

But the trend is to get rid of drivers altogether so that the trains can be driven optimally by software to achieve whatever goal is desired (maximum passenger throughput, shortest average journey time, etc). The Disney line already has no drivers, and the new line to Ap Lei Chau from Admiralty won't have any either.