Like Tree143Likes

Quick question about the language

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chris_yang22:
    His name is Carlos Vidal and he's from Vancouver. He lives here now. If I'm not mistaken, he spent a year or two here as a college student. So, yes he studied in Hong Kong. Another way of putting it is he came over and learned Cantonese.
    Thanks for the clarification. It's simply amazing that he is able to speak Cantonese as he does like a native and without even an accent.

OP wanted a quick answer, but he got a GeoExpat pissing contest. 👏😜
    Whenever in a meeting, whether office or social, when someone says they need a quick answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    HKIT.... I know two brits here in HK who speak perfect (according to my wife)…canto…they learned it before meeting their local wives. It is rare but totally possible. Afterall cantonese grammar is much simpler than many other languages. Tones are the killer.

Mind u I have been trying for years (on and off)…and i have not found it easy...one day maybe...but like everything...it is possible (rare i admit but possible)/
    Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app
    It's easier if Cantonese is all you spoke everyday. Or if you spoke Cantonese for more than 50% of your conversations. When you can fall back on English, you aren't quite forced to learn how to speak it as rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeahbaby:
    It's easier if Cantonese is all you spoke everyday. Or if you spoke Cantonese for more than 50% of your conversations. When you can fall back on English, you aren't quite forced to learn how to speak it as rapidly.
    Indeed. I remember a few years ago a friend based in HK. he was there for 7 years....no canto or mando whatsoever. Then he got transferred to Chengdu..1.5 y after is mando was v v good.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

His name is Carlos Vidal and he's from Vancouver. He lives here now. If I'm not mistaken, he spent a year or two here as a college student. So, yes he studied in Hong Kong. Another way of putting it is he came over and learned Cantonese.
    He actually came over here originally as a Mormon, doing their standard overseas missionary work - they tend to teach languages pretty well, since it's hard to spread God's word (or whoever's it is they're spreading) if the heathens can't understand you... I met him a couple of years ago, briefly, when he had a get-together with some of his fans in Mongkok, seemed to be a nice enough chap.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    My point is fairly consistent. You dont know much but continue to spew out of multiple orifices, usually with multiple spelling mistakes.You are asserting:
    a) expats should not send their little kids to learn Cantonese at school because its too hard
    b) older expats should learn Cantonese as its not that hard and you will have a fuller life

Everyone (who happens to be sane) in this world knows that language acquisition is best done when young. Contradiction, nahhh, I'm not saying that at all; Using your own words and ideas, I'm demonstrating and that you are certifiable.
    Wrong, again, darling. Funny if I don't know anything, people keep agreeing with me here. Sounds like you know next to nothing about cantonese.

And your point consistently fails. You have no clue about international relations and Syria. You have no clue why Sai Kung is congested on a weekend. You have no clue about cantonese.

I am not talking about age. I am talking about choice (which all sane people know-but you are not sane). Little kids have no choice. You and I do. I'm talking about enhancing cultural understanding, not forcing kids to learn (and likely fail) without external support. Easier to pick up? Not when you are thrown into secondary school-level advanced Chinese with no background whatsoever. As an adult however, you can take your time step-by-step to develop your cantonese ability. Even if that takes longer.

Or are you so ignorant you can't distinguish between a child and an adult?

Maybe next time you should try to say something you actually know something about. Otherwise, I will say, in my cantonese: "Diew Lei Low Mow!" Know what that means?
    Last edited by Watercooler; 03-10-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    He actually came over here originally as a Mormon, doing their standard overseas missionary work - they tend to teach languages pretty well, since it's hard to spread God's word (or whoever's it is they're spreading) if the heathens can't understand you... I met him a couple of years ago, briefly, when he had a get-together with some of his fans in Mongkok, seemed to be a nice enough chap.
    Its still amazing. If you listen to him without watching then you would think that he is local. The difficulties foreigners face are the tones and the fluicidity of sentences and he has really mastered this.
    It's not really disrespectful to say that foreigners have dufficukty with Cantonese but the plain fact is that we really only see a handful actially speaking it as a native.
    I wouldn't be downhearted if you have difficulties but its an achievement if you know enough to get by.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Maybe next time you should try to say something you actually know something about. Otherwise, I will say, in my cantonese: "Diew Lei Low Mow!" Know what that means?
    That's pretty low even by your usually fairly low standards!

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    That's pretty low even by your usually fairly low standards!
    I reserve such language only for people who deserve it.

You don't see me calling you that now do you?

I think it's a question of if expats in HK want to develop a deeper cultural understanding (and hence needing to learn Cantonese in order to do that). Not everyone does and with English as an official language anyway, people can easily live here without needing to learn Canto. That's their choice and I don't think they should be criticised for it. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I lived in Paris before I moved to HK. I speak French fluently and was the only non-French person working in my division of a French company. I went to university to France many years ago and have worked for various French companies over the years so I have a reasonable understanding (and liking for) French culture. However, some of my expat friends in Paris had no real interest in integrating. They were happy with their expat lives with their circle of expat friends who spoke English. I felt that they were missing out on a lot of fun....they didn't understand why Parisians did things the way they did and they weren't party to some of the (very amusing) French jokes. But my expat friends were happy! And who was I to criticise their way of living? They weren't harming anyone. So I ended up with two circles of friends, my French friends and my expat friends. I did try bringing them together at my leaving drinks but it was a bit of a disaster. Definitely oil and water! So now when I visit Paris, I see my two circles separately. With my expat friends we go to the pub and drink and with my French friends we have 4 hour lunches at their apartments and put the world to rights. I love both!

Now I live in HK, I'm suddenly in that expat clique and I understand where Watercooler/others are coming from in terms of missing out on a deeper cultural awareness because I don't speak Canto (just like my expat friends were who didn't speak French). But you know what...I'm quite happy. It's not a language or cultural awareness competition. I have local friends (I work with nearly all locals), I'm told my Canto swearing is impressive and I can get by for the day to day stuff. At this stage in my life, that's good enough for me. I wish some of the posters on Geo would stop making it into a competition and putting expats down. It is GeoEXPAT after all. If you don't like expats, go find another forum.