Like Tree143Likes

Quick question about the language

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    Learn the name of your building, the name of your office building, and the name of your pub in Cantonese. That's all you 'need' really. Many don't even know those three.
    Building and office name-Taxi App

Taxi where driver does not understand the address and not on Taxi App-point to the microphone on left of driver and speak to the controller in English.He/she will translate for you. In many years here I have never failed to get to my destination.

Pub-"Joe Banana mmgoy" is all you need for the first few mnths. All taxi drivers on the island know it.

Supermarkets-not needed.

Wet markets-point or help yourself.
    Gruntfuttock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Building and office name-Taxi App

Taxi where driver does not understand the address and not on Taxi App-point to the microphone on left of driver and speak to the controller in English.He/she will translate for you. In many years here I have never failed to get to my destination.

Pub-"Joe Banana mmgoy" is all you need for the first few mnths. All taxi drivers on the island know it.

Supermarkets-not needed.

Wet markets-point or help yourself.
    That's a waste of time in terms of taxi. Sometimes you don't have the luxury of waiting for the controller to explain everything. It's inefficient and many expats don't know about this anyway. I found the Taxi App is not all that reliable and does not always give you the name you want to go too.

As for wet markets, you'll get ripoff that way, don't you know? "Ah, naive gweilo, time to make some $$$".

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    That's a waste of time in terms of taxi. Sometimes you don't have the luxury of waiting for the controller to explain everything. It's inefficient and many expats don't know about this anyway. I found the Taxi App is not all that reliable and does not always give you the name you want to go too.

As for wet markets, you'll get ripoff that way, don't you know? "Ah, naive gweilo, time to make some $$$".
    I have never had a problem with using the controller. Takes a minute or two at the most at the start of your trip. The many expats that don't know about this do now as they all read this forum!.

Rip off at wet markets?-You might get charged a few dollars more for some fruit or veg, not exactly the end of the world. Dual pricing exists in many countries. I have been a regular at the Causeway Bay wet market for many years, don't speak a word of Cantonese, and often not only get charged local prices but get given little gifts by my regular stall holders.

Wc-what exactly is this "local culture" that you write about that we are all missing out on by not speaking Cantonese?

Bingo Fong Pay

Why learn anything else?

wtbhotia and Eddy Mundo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Bingo Fong Pay

Why learn anything else?
    Ok, I'll bite, what's it mean?!

Except when you hop onto a taxi and want to get to a place and the taxi driver don't know how to get there because he doesn't understand your English address....

For expats who will only be in HK for a relatively short and fixed time (i.e. 1-2 years at most), then it might not be worth the effort. But if you are planning to stay longer, it would'nt hurt to learn some cantonese. At any rate, it makes buying groceries easier (as the vegetable stall folks don't really have such a great command of English). More importantly, it helps to expand your social circle away from just the expat world on midlevels. You will be able to know more about local culture that way as well.
    'Some cantonese' is not going to let you 'expand your social circle' to non-English speakers. You would need to be at least intermediate level to even have a chance.

It's true some people are gifted with the ability to pick up new languages easily. But for most of us it won't get much beyond 'how are you? I'm tired, are you hungry?'. Hardly the basis of a meaningful friendship!
    MovingIn07 likes this.

This is what I say when getting into a taxi and never had any problems.

Lockhart doh
    Lan Kwai Fong
    Harbour doh (Central Plaazaa)
    SOGO
    and my favorite: sam ho ma tau

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    I have never had a problem with using the controller. Takes a minute or two at the most at the start of your trip. The many expats that don't know about this do now as they all read this forum!.

Rip off at wet markets?-You might get charged a few dollars more for some fruit or veg, not exactly the end of the world. Dual pricing exists in many countries. I have been a regular at the Causeway Bay wet market for many years, don't speak a word of Cantonese, and often not only get charged local prices but get given little gifts by my regular stall holders.

Wc-what exactly is this "local culture" that you write about that we are all missing out on by not speaking Cantonese?
    What is this pride in not being able to speak Cantonese? Strange. Elsewhere, people who want to stay in a place long enough will try to learn the customs and language of that place. But not for some here apparently. Colonial mentality? Or an innate desire to separate ourselves from the locals?

So getting ripoff is not a big deal for you? Sure, it adds up over time, but I guess it doesn't matter to you, it's only money.

Local culture? Simple. Not living in a expat bubble. Watching (and understanding cantonese movies, food, yes-some street food and small eateries you will only know in cantonese). Being able to converse with them to know what they think, feel, stuff they won't necessarily share with you in English.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 01-10-2013 at 01:29 PM.

You;ll only get ripped off if you are a complete numbskull. Most of the prices are on clear display. You might not get the best price without haggling, but you wont be ripped off easily either.
    usehername and Cwbguy like this.

Original Post Deleted

You'll do fine, but you'll miss out on so many things.

Right...living in your expat bubble is such a good life . Not having to converse with locals is such a good thing. After all, why want you want to know them?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast