Like Tree143Likes

Quick question about the language

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

To the OP:

I hope you got your answer to your quick question

chris_yang22 and chingleutsch like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Right, inventing bullshit as we go are we along are we? What "local" one? Which "dozens" have you been to?
    Last edited by Watercooler; 01-10-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    Umm...and people believe you?! In any case, I was talking about you in that post. You don't know? Now you are even failing basic reading comprehension. My, my, TB, you must have forgotten to take your pills today.There now, take your pill, it doesn't hurt. And do see your doctor's appointment.

You still haven't told me what "local" market you went to. And which "dozen". You can't can you? See, TB and his imaginary wet market trips...wonder what prescription the doctor will give you.

As for cantonese. IF you absolutely refuse to learn it fine, if you do, good for you.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 01-10-2013 at 02:40 PM.

I speak fluent Cantonese, and the posters on here thinking that not knowing the language makes no difference at all is absolutely deluded.

Granted I can't read Chinese, so when I catch the news or gossip, I need to view Cantonese Web videos. English local newspapers and TV news only cover some of what's going on, there's so much more out there.

There was a Cantonese Web video about a week or so ago talking about how drug stores are flogging off fake brands of medicine. How many of the expats know this? Can yo tell the difference in the packaging?

As for wet markets, how many of you expats know that locals don't actually pay for small things like spring onions, garlic and ginger? When you buy up to a certain amount, you ask for them and they get thrown in free. I've seen plenty of expats all proud of themselves after managing to buy a bunch of Choi sum and then pay for spring onions.....

You go into a temple, speak with the locals that work there and you learn so much more about the place and the culture. Try that in English.

These ignorant expats live in their own bubble and are too arrogant to either notice it or adapt.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ryks:
    How much will I get away with when using English? Should I make the effort to learn Cantonese or Mandarin? Also not quite sure which one. I heard Cantonese is the main language there, but a Chinese friend of mine told me to learn Mandarin as everyone there speaks it and then I can use it in China too.

If I can get by with English then that would be good. I don't mind learning another language, but am teaching myself Japanese at the moment so it would be hard!
    You can get by with using English in most places. Cantonese is the de facto language for locals here. English is a more widely spoken language here than Mandarin
    Last edited by YCC; 01-10-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    I speak fluent Cantonese, and the posters on here thinking that not knowing the language makes no difference at all is absolutely deluded.

Granted I can't read Chinese, so when I catch the news or gossip, I need to view Cantonese Web videos. English local newspapers and TV news only cover some of what's going on, there's so much more out there.

There was a Cantonese Web video about a week or so ago talking about how drug stores are flogging off fake brands of medicine. How many of the expats know this? Can yo tell the difference in the packaging?

As for wet markets, how many of you expats know that locals don't actually pay for small things like spring onions, garlic and ginger? When you buy up to a certain amount, you ask for them and they get thrown in free. I've seen plenty of expats all proud of themselves after managing to buy a bunch of Choi sum and then pay for spring onions.....

You go into a temple, speak with the locals that work there and you learn so much more about the place and the culture. Try that in English.

These ignorant expats live in their own bubble and are too arrogant to either notice it or adapt.

Aren't you assuming that no locals can speak English? I have a half dozen or so local friends with whom I go all over with, including wet markets.

Don't get me wrong, speaking the local language is a perk.. But not like it is in most other countries. English is widely spoken. The most important thing is to become close friends with a local...if you have a real friend who is a local, they can teach you a lot whether it be in canto or english

we always got them free too without a word of cantonese

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Aren't you assuming that no locals can speak English? I have a half dozen or so local friends with whom I go all over with, including wet markets.
    Not at all, but then one isn't going to go around hk all the time with a Cantonese speaker.

Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:

Find it very strange that Proplus, as a fluent Cantonese speaker has to buy up to a certain amount before he gets some free spring onions. I always get given a bunch even if I am buying a couple of onions or spuds.

If I really want to learn about the temples of Hong Kong, something I have to admit I am not particularly interested in, I can use Google, where all the information you could possibly want is at your fingertips, and in English.

Original Post Deleted
    You've never asked because you don't speak Cantonese, and the stall owner don't speaker English, and you pointing at the spring onions doesn't really count as not asking.

And the gweilos didn't get it for free as the stall owner had already rounded 'up' the price of the Choi sum you just bought. Both parties are happy; the stall owner made the gweilo think they got something for free but in fact had paid more for their original purchase and would've go the free spring onions anyway.

Even locals have to ask.

Gatts likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast