Do Expats really lower property prices?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    This is a windup. Clovenpine has only made two other posts, and in one of them s/he expressed some outrageously racist views.
    Ah yes, had forgotten that one! I am now actually thinking Clovenpine is not an incredibly ignorant racist but actually a wind up merchant with a twisted sense of humour. The gecko one was actually quite funny because it was so bizarre on the second reading.

Well in that thread then the quote was:

"I am not sure as to whether you are new to HK, but I have been living here for many years......"

And the start to this thread:

"Hi I recently moved to HK......."

IF ONLY expats lowered property prices! In my dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad:
    IF ONLY expats lowered property prices! In my dreams!
    Yup then Tung Chung and Kennedy Town will be worthless!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Yup then Tung Chung and Kennedy Town will be worthless!
    And you could get a 3000 sq feet house in Stanley (with a pool and a view of the ocean) for 20K.....

I think Clovenpine has struck an important point. I think to dismiss it as a wind-up because it maybe an uncomfortable topic is cowardly. I think we should ur on the side of caution and treat it like a legimate query.

I know for a fact that many building/flat owners may not be racist, but certainly do not encourage "foreigners" to live in. I think its alot to do with perception that it would be hard to communicate and therefore more troublesome.

This is why you see so many buildings in HK with very few, or even no foreigners living there.

Cheesy

Face it.

I think Clovenpine has struck an important point. I think to dismiss it as a wind-up because it maybe an uncomfortable topic is cowardly. I think we should ur on the side of caution and treat it like a legimate query.

I know for a fact that many building/flat owners may not be racist, but certainly do not encourage "foreigners" to live in. I think its alot to do with perception that it would be hard to communicate and therefore more troublesome.

This is why you see so many buildings in HK with very few, or even no foreigners living there.

Cheesy

Doubt its a genuine query .. but yes, there is a fair bit of reality in this sort of question.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Well in that thread then the quote was:

"I am not sure as to whether you are new to HK, but I have been living here for many years......"

And the start to this thread:

"Hi I recently moved to HK......."
    Maybe refering to HK island?

Quote Originally Posted by cheesypeas:
    communication issues between tenant and landlord do not "lower property values"...especially for others buying in the same area.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesypeas:
    no...the reason is that many building are on par with crack dens (in terms of dirtyness, age, grime, aesthetics). Most expats here are getting a decent enough salary to be here that they are not willing to live in such incredibly poor qualities of a home

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast