Like Tree33Likes

Areas to live in HK advice please?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I find it hard to imagine why anyone would spend a fortune to live somewhere like Kowloon Station when you can get vast amount more space for your money (and more space around you) in other places.

But at the end of the day, you need to come here and review these areas in person. Nothing on the internet can really give you an impression of what each of them is like.

bibbju likes this.

Posted twice

Last edited by benenden00; 12-10-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Hi VBraddon28

FYI
    The Arch- no fee for gym and no fee for swimming pool (indoor pool only- some prefer this to outdoor pool as it rains often here and indoor allows u to swim 365 days a year. it is large, located on 62nd floor with a full large window,instead of a wall, to overlook TST on the left and HK island on the right, which is nice. Sunbeds on the same floor with an open view across the harbour. Within the changing room, spa-feeling resting beds are availble. Ppl typically use shower, sauna, and rest on the beds before going back home.)

What surprised me when I visited friends in Harbourside was that they pay everytime they use the gym and the outdoor pool though it's a small sum (a couple of quids).

I moved to Olympic and many places in the area also charged for the use of the gym and the pool except my apartment (The Hermitage). We have both an indoor and an outdoor swimming pools here and a smaller gym than in the arch, but they are also free. Later it turned out all my friends living in other flats in Kowloon and Olympic areas were paying a small sum for the same facilities.

So everyone else is right in saying it is normal to charge a small fee for the use of the gym and the pool, but I wanted to say there are exceptions such as the arch and the hermitage just in case u consider moving into the kowloon area

Usually kids room or playarea is free wherever you go- so no worries for your kid.

The rest of facilities (courts, rooms, bbq pits) you have to rent it on an hourly or session basis- it's same for everywhere.

In DB as I know, there are two communal clubs across the town (Sienna and something else- plz someone confirm this) and these clubs require you to pay a significant amount of membership fees.

On rent negotiation side..perfectly possible to cut the prices down. Landlords suggest rents expecting tenants to ask for discount.
    I would say suggesting 10% discount is normal- though it may ultimately lead to 5% or less discount. e.g. Rent- 40k, bid- 36k, then final rent probably- 38k..

So do not accept the asking price right away. You have some bargaining power.

+ I agree with some people about Olympic (you can get a cab to Kowloon- that's what I do all the time just some might think it's a hassel.)

++ MovingIn07 has a valid point. You just need to come and see in person. I was trying to give you a feel for it- that's why I posted pictures. Hope you settle down here well. That's all I wish for!

Last edited by benenden00; 12-10-2013 at 11:42 AM.

I dont pay for use of pool or gym

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    I dont pay for use of pool or gym

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks mobile app
    It's good then! where in Olympic do u live btw? We can be friends

(Edited) oh u live in imperial cullinan! Read ur previous post i considered moving there last yeat when it was newly built. Nice place!
    Last edited by benenden00; 12-10-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned the building a couple of posts ago

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I find it hard to imagine why anyone would spend a fortune to live somewhere like Kowloon Station when you can get vast amount more space for your money (and more space around you) in other places.
    I find it hard to imagine why anyone would want to waste all their lives commuting everywhere on buses from Gold Coast when you can live in other places that are far more convenient. Sure, Gold Coast is a lot cheaper than Kowloon station - that is because it's a much worse place to live as judged by the market - i.e. the population of Hong Kong.

Just like people will pay a premium to live on the Peak compared to Tseun Kawn O, or Sai Kung versus Yuen Long... or SoHo vs. Chai Wan.. so it is with Kowloon Station vs Gold Coast. The market, normal people are prepared to pay a lot more to live in the former than the latter.
    benenden00 and Skyhook like this.

Was wondering when those two would start the usual argument. Guys you should realy meet up for dinner once and sort it out.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

bak875 likes this.

Also south Lantau . You can get a good village house for around the 20 -40 K mark, plus public transport to the airport is good. My husband travels a lot so it's important for him to get to the airport and back easily and quickly. Plenty of young families in the surrounding villages and there is always something going on. You also have plenty of parks and the beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Also south Lantau . You can get a good village house for around the 20 -40 K mark, plus public transport to the airport is good. My husband travels a lot so it's important for him to get to the airport and back easily and quickly. Plenty of young families in the surrounding villages and there is always something going on. You also have plenty of parks and the beaches.
    South Lantau is very nice, but as a place to live? How are you with snakes?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast