• 1 Post By Mat
  • 1 Post By HowardCoombs
  • 2 Post By emx
  • 3 Post By Natfixit

Crazy to move to Wanchai with kids?

Closed Thread

Crazy to move to Wanchai with kids?

Hey,
    I am moving to HK for a few months for a short-term project and am considering living at The Oakhill, Wan Chai. Bringing kids (3 and 5 yrs) and a nanny with me.

The building seems nice in the pictures, there is a swimming pool and kids playroom, but is Wan Chai in general a stupid location with children? Is it too hectic and polluted or is it easy enough to find nice places to spend time with children?

Wan Chai Park with children's playground is next door http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/lsb/en/facili...ftid=55&did=15. Is it a nice place for kids to play or just a noisy spot between the traffic?

Are there any other kids living in The Oakhill or the area?

Thanks for any advice related to living on HK island with kids!

Quote Originally Posted by Raitake:
    Hey,
    I am moving to HK for a few months for a short-term project and am considering living at The Oakhill, Wan Chai. Bringing kids (3 and 5 yrs) and a nanny with me.
    You'll need an employment visa before you could consider bringing your kids as dependents, let alone their nanny. Have you got your 3 month employment visa approved?

What passport does the nanny hold?
    Natfixit and carang like this.

Hey,

The building seems nice in the pictures, there is a swimming pool and kids playroom, but is Wan Chai in general a stupid location with children? Is it too hectic and polluted or is it easy enough to find nice places to spend time with children?

Wan Chai Park with children's playground is next door http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/lsb/en/facili...ftid=55&did=15. Is it a nice place for kids to play or just a noisy spot between the traffic?

Are there any other kids living in The Oakhill or the area?

Thanks for any advice related to living on HK island with kids!
    Have friends living there - oakhill (with a one year old) they love it.
    Raitake likes this.

Wan Chai Park with children's playground is next door Is it a nice place for kids to play or just a noisy spot between the traffic?
    Its nice enough but just 10 mins walk away is the Happy Valley race track which is bigger and greener.

Oakhill is just fine, especially for short term.
    If budget allows, you should also consider The Ellipsis, Happy Valley
    Raitake likes this.

Great, thanks! The Ellipsis would be really cool, but need to earn more money first...

Is there a children's playground in Happy Valley race track or what can kids do there?

OP, all buildings look nice in pictures, however, I do highly recommend if you have the budget and time to pop over to HK to check it out...namely to avoid disappointment. Wan Chai can be nice, but you do get light pollution, noise pollution and crowd pollution. The MTR Island Line runs through Wan Chai, as also tram, so if you do decide to come over just to check it all out before the actual move, look at areas also like Taikoo Place, Sai Wan Ho ( who also has a nice park and harbour).

chingleutsch, carang and Raitake like this.

Hi there I've lived in the Oakhill for a year now

Plenty of expat families but only babies, they're often playing in that small playroom though so u will meet other people. Friendly place too can chat to neighbours in the elevator.

There's an outdoor playground too that no one uses so u could have free reign. Also a public swimming pool 2mins away that has loads of families (all chinese though) and the kids will love Hong Kong park which is 5min tram ride away with bird and butterfly garden, turtles, tea museum etc.

Hope that helps a bit. Enjoy wanchai it has everything!

Raitake likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Expensive for what/where it is.