Moving to Hong Kong with 4 month old baby

Closed Thread

Moving to Hong Kong with 4 month old baby

Hi,

I am considering a move to HK from London and have a 4 month old baby daughter. The reason for the move is my husbands job. I am currently on maternity leave from my job working as a psychologist for the NHS. If we moved I would be giving up my job but would hope to find one in HK.

I am wondering if anyone has been in the same position and how it worked out...are you glad you moved, how is it raising a family in Hong Kong, how was it to move away from friends and family? We are visiting HK in November to see if I like it but I would really like to hear other people's experiences.

I moved to HK with our 5 month old daughter because of my husband's job. I was able to transfer internally and continue working.

It took me a while to get used to HK, especially with the baby. For example I didn't even know where to get many of the baby items. Things improved once I started to make friends, especially after building a network of moms and children my daughter's age in our apartment complex. So I highly recommend living in an estate with facilities for children. You will meet other parents quickly when you take your daughter to play. There are other ways to meet people/parents of course, but you need to make an effort to travel and do it regularly.

I second living in an estate with facilities- pool, playground, playroom etc. It's easy to meet parents, there are always other babies around, you aren't stuck in the house if the weather is bad and the babies love it.

i am a local chinese mum. i have a 20 month old son. i dont know much about your field but i will be happy to give you advice about children stuff in hong kong.

have you considered where to live in hong kong?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamyerica:
    i am a local chinese mum. i have a 20 month old son. i dont know much about your field but i will be happy to give you advice about children stuff in hong kong.

have you considered where to live in hong kong?
    Thanks dreamyerica. I'd love to know how easy it is to access outdoors activities for babies, or is everything inside because of the pollution/ heat? Also, how easy is it to get around the city with a baby? And how easy is it to meet other mums to hang out with?

We are just beginning our accommodation search and will be visiting HK in November to check different places out. My husband will be working in central and ideally he doesn't want a long commute but I want to prioritise living somewhere that is baby friendly with some space.

Thanks in advance

There's a sister board of this one called GeoBaby which is specifically focussed on parenting in Hong Kong where I think you'll get much more advice...

i think there are outdoor activities suitable for babies, but is depending on where you live. i dont know how much you can afford the rent, but the apartment close to central is rather expensive and as central is a business district, there may be fewer places for children. anyway, it is difficult to explain as you have never been here. i can give you more advice when you arrive in nov.

pollution in hk can be serious. hk is small, so no matter where you live, you wont be too far away from central
    geobaby is a gd website. and if you count me in, you have already made friends with a mum in hk!

I have a good friend who came here as a clinical psychologist working in the NHS and did private work here. He's back in London now. If you PM me I can put you in touch, he'll have lots of info.