Housing Allowance

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Housing Allowance

Hello All....
    My wife and I are in the process of relocating to HK in the next 3 months and wanted to get a feel for what kind of housing we would be able to find for HKD 45K. Will our budget allow us to get a 1000sq livable area modern apartment in a new high-rise building with doorman, gym etc.? Or do I need to bump up the budget to say HKD 60K in order to get what I am looking for? What are the nice areas (on the island) to live and be close to the MTR, restaurants, shopping etc. Need to finalize my package in the next couple weeks so any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

The following sites will give you a good idea of what you can get for your money and in which area. I think Centamap also gives price per sq ft as you move over the map which will give a rough guide to the desirability of the area.

gohome.com.hk and centamap.com

Last edited by leghk; 06-06-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: bad tiping

Quote Originally Posted by leghk:
    try [url=http://www.gohome.com.hk]
    Thanks, but tried that and a bunch of others...not sure if the information there is 1. updated 2. accurate. Maybe you could confirm. I think I might have read a thread here that said that most of these sites have dated info. Also read through a bunch of posts related to housing, but most were 6month and older...

I should add that I will be working in Tai Koo. Thanks.

What's the trade off with bumping it up to $60K?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    What's the trade off with bumping it up to $60K?
    Less savings I guess, will need to plan for it and manage expenses/cash flow accordingly.

I would bump up to $60K. But tell the realtor ypou want to see some in the $55K range, some in the $50K range and some in the $45K range and that way you will know if the extra money is really buying you anything.
    If you go with the $45K, you might end up regretting it.

The answer to your question: Can you get 1000sq ft in a newer building with amenities in a good area for 45K is a definite yes.

What you might find is that 1000sq ft tends to look smaller in HK as they are very creative with floor space calculations.

Good point, gilleshk.
    I would estimate that 1000 square feet in an ad equates to about 700 square feet of space.

I think 45K HKD for 1,000 sq ft with nice amenities is definitely doable, but it depends on how far you want to commute to work.

We live in a very nice building in west Kowloon now, 1,200 sq ft, 13' ceiling, huge living room and master bedroom, everything brand new, wonderful amenities, view of Victoria Harbor, the rent was 29K hkd. I say was because our one year lease is up and the rent is likely to go up to 40 to 45k, which is still within your budget. But where we are now may take you about 45 minutes to get to work.

But I think 45K is a good budget to work with for the type of apartment you want.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast