Like Tree14Likes

Moving to Hong Kong in Jan 2014

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MDenny:
    Hmmm....that's annoying. Not sure why or where I got the info but I thought that we could provide evidence of the relationship (historic joint bank accounts, leases, photos etc...) and be okay?
    There is some anecdotal evidence this is allowed in exceptional circumstances for gay couples. However, I have not heard of any straight couples using this route and think it is very unlikely to be allowed. Time for a re-think!

Quote Originally Posted by MDenny:
    Hmmm....that's annoying. ....That's a little awkward!
    Marriages in Hong Kong are quick and painless.
    I provide my witness services in exchange for cold beers.

If you dont get married, be prepared for a lot of pain
    kimwy66 and elle like this.

Check out Tin Hau. Great location, would be in your price range, good selection of restaurants, bars etc.

OP, we came here without being married, only because I vowed after my first marriage never again! But the Macau runs were tedious when you only get a 3 months visa. In the end we got married in a solicitor's office. Some people still don't know!

But I guess if you are younger and want the whole frilly dresses and pomp and circumstance it may be a bit harder.

It does seem a bit backward to not recognise common law relationships. When we went to NZ a few years ago, I got my then-boyfriend-now-husband a dependent visa no problem. And this is the case in many countries. But when in Rome and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    There is some anecdotal evidence this is allowed in exceptional circumstances for gay couples. However, I have not heard of any straight couples using this route and think it is very unlikely to be allowed. Time for a re-think!
    That is an extended visitor visa and allows the partner to stay but not work, become resident, etc.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    That is an extended visitor visa and allows the partner to stay but not work, become resident, etc.
    And it is not available to heterosexual couples. I tried and got very quickly dismissed.

Whilst it's true it's easy to get married here - don't just get married so she can get a visa. If you wouldn't marry her (yet) in the uk, don't do it here.

Moving overseas can make or break a relationship, and hk is notorious for the breaking rather the making. Adding a bitter divorce into to the stress of a move is no fun.

If wedding bells were on the cards anyway then go for it. Otherwise let her get her own work/study visa.

Fiona in HKG, Watercooler and elle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Nor have access to the public health system.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    And it is not available to heterosexual couples. I tried and got very quickly dismissed.
    I believe it may be in some cases if you have children together.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Nor have access to the public health system.

I believe it may be in some cases if you have children together.
    We had a then 6 yr old together, and I was told no, they just handed my application back and refused to accept it. I queried again with the duty OIC and was told flat no.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    Whilst it's true it's easy to get married here - don't just get married so she can get a visa. If you wouldn't marry her (yet) in the uk, don't do it here.

Moving overseas can make or break a relationship, and hk is notorious for the breaking rather the making. Adding a bitter divorce into to the stress of a move is no fun.

If wedding bells were on the cards anyway then go for it. Otherwise let her get her own work/study visa.

That depends. This raises the question of how adaptable OP's gf is. Some ladies can adapt to change in their surroundings and work culture quite well, others don't do it so well and some flat are unable to adjust to anything outside their comfort zone. OP's gf can fall into either of these three categories...

I had a gf back in Canada when I first moved to HK. At the time I was only thinking of staying for a 2 year period here. But plans change. The relationship wasn't that serious and I realized my (then) gf, despite having a nice pair of legs, was a bitch after all , so I told her to take a hike, about 3 months after I moved to HK. And then I met my wife here in HK and everything changed, been here 10+ years.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 29-10-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast