Olympic and Moving Queries

Olympic and Moving Queries

Hi All,

I'm currently in HK picking up my visa and signing up for my green card. While here I've managed to look at some apartments ready for my permanent arrival in December.

I've picked Olympic out as its great access to my work [XRL Express Rail Link West Kowloon Terminal / Hole in the ground out side Elements shopping centre above Kowloon Station]

I have a few queries that I could do with advice on:

1. What supermarket is best to shop in? Many in Olympic City but as they are in the shopping centre with this mean inflated prices?
    2. I've picked Harbour Green as my front runner for blocks of flats seems the best in the area and 6 years old and highly spec'd I cant see it being beaten. Although does this come at a cost? 2 bed apartment 464sqft [useable] for 20,0000 HKD? Rooms are tiny but the best I saw for my price range of 21,000. All 3 beds start at 25,0000. [and no sea view either, on a low floor so view is poor]
    3. Local gym? I've seen the gym in the apartment grounds and it just doesn't suit, being a rugby player I like my squat rack, bench press and free weights too much. Can anyone advise a local gym and provide pricing / agreement yearly or monthly.
    4. I've worked out door to site is approx. 25mins with the bulk of that being spent walking from Door to MTR [13mins], is there a better location I should look in that provides the same commute time? I like Olympic because of the MTR access.
    5. Obtaining furniture, where is the best place to shop for sofa / mattress / TV etc....

Any information you can provide I will be most grateful.

Thanks

Anywhere with a bus that stops at the Western Harbour crossing will also be a convenient commute - which is all the 9XX buses (that is, 962, 969 etc etc). If you actually did want a nice location but a slightly longer commute therefore, anywhere on the 962B route from Gold Coast would be under 30 mins (so about 20 mins from Sham Tseng I would say, with buses every 10-15 minutes now). Sham Tseng is very nice, on the coast, with an international supermarket and a number of restaurants.

In Olympic, re gyms, there is a California in MongKok and also Pure at Langham Place. Pure being more pricey. I suspect there are a few Physical's around too but unsure of their location.

I live in Olympic. Will try to answer some of your questions.

1. What supermarket is best to shop in? Many in Olympic City but as they are in the shopping centre with this mean inflated prices? I wouldnt say they are inflated. You have taste supermarket which has everything you could need and also you have the newly opened Marketplace in Olympic one under the escalator. You also have the Fusion next door in the Hermitage or you can walk through there and you will be in the wet markets on Canton road.
    2. I've picked Harbour Green as my front runner for blocks of flats seems the best in the area and 6 years old and highly spec'd I cant see it being beaten. Although does this come at a cost? 2 bed apartment 464sqft [useable] for 20,0000 HKD? Rooms are tiny but the best I saw for my price range of 21,000. All 3 beds start at 25,0000. [and no sea view either, on a low floor so view is poor]. Cant say anything about harbour green but we are in the Imperial Cullinan but next door you have one silver sea and Long beach but not sure on prices but they are newer. 464sqft is tiny though.
    3. Local gym? I've seen the gym in the apartment grounds and it just doesn't suit, being a rugby player I like my squat rack, bench press and free weights too much. Can anyone advise a local gym and provide pricing / agreement yearly or monthly. Our complex has a gym for residents and so does some of the other complexes at no extra charge. There is how ever a large gym and driving range above Olympic one. No idea on prices.
    4. I've worked out door to site is approx. 25mins with the bulk of that being spent walking from Door to MTR [13mins], is there a better location I should look in that provides the same commute time? I like Olympic because of the MTR access. It takes me around 6 minutes to walk to the MTR. There are some places that are closer.
    5. Obtaining furniture, where is the best place to shop for sofa / mattress / TV etc.... We got ours from Horizon plaza in Ap Lai Chai and then there is Ikea which is a 10 minute drive away in Shatin which is situated in a mall full of furniture stores. You could also check out the classifieds on here too as there are always people selling furniture and electronics. for electronics, just go to Mong Kok and go the east side of Nathan road, you cant miss them.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else.

some answers inside

Quote Originally Posted by marshy104:
    Hi All,

I'm currently in HK picking up my visa and signing up for my green card. While here I've managed to look at some apartments ready for my permanent arrival in December.

I've picked Olympic out as its great access to my work [XRL Express Rail Link West Kowloon Terminal / Hole in the ground out side Elements shopping centre above Kowloon Station]

I have a few queries that I could do with advice on:

1. What supermarket is best to shop in? Many in Olympic City but as they are in the shopping centre with this mean inflated prices? No, supermarket prices are pretty much the same wherever you are. taste in O2 has everything you need.
    2. I've picked Harbour Green as my front runner for blocks of flats seems the best in the area and 6 years old and highly spec'd I cant see it being beaten. Although does this come at a cost? 2 bed apartment 464sqft [useable] for 20,0000 HKD? Rooms are tiny but the best I saw for my price range of 21,000. All 3 beds start at 25,0000. [and no sea view either, on a low floor so view is poor] hampton place should be cheaper than HG and has only 2 beds. Possibly Island Harbourview as well. IH is older but still decent.
    3. Local gym? I've seen the gym in the apartment grounds and it just doesn't suit, being a rugby player I like my squat rack, bench press and free weights too much. Can anyone advise a local gym and provide pricing / agreement yearly or monthly. No idea.
    4. I've worked out door to site is approx. 25mins with the bulk of that being spent walking from Door to MTR [13mins], is there a better location I should look in that provides the same commute time? I like Olympic because of the MTR access. Island Harbourview. Used to take me 5 mins from house to mtr platform. But 25 mins is a decent commute for HK.
    5. Obtaining furniture, where is the best place to shop for sofa / mattress / TV etc....

Any information you can provide I will be most grateful.

Thanks

You could also consider The Coronation if you want somewhere very close to work. It's a short bus-ride from Olympic.

Near Harbour Green there is a new Fusion in Park Summit, the wet market which has fruit, veg, seafood and meat including a bit of imported stuff, a Wellcome on TKT road, Park n Shop on Ivy street. There's a small shopping centre under Metro Harbour View that has a small department store that does some furniture and general household goods, also another Wellcome. None of the supermarkets are particularly big, but you can pick up most things without needing to head to Taste in Olympian City and carry stuff back. Probably a little cheaper but depends on what you're buying.

There's a green minibus number 78 from outside the back of Harbour Green that goes to the Austin area, and the 12 bus to TST. By MTR 25 minutes is probably about right. If you're on a high floor the lifts can be a bit slow in the mornings. It's about the same distance to Nam Cheong MTR station as Olympic from Harbour Green if Austin is more convenient than Kowloon MTR for your work. 905 bus from the Western Cross Harbour stops outside the back of Harbour Green.

Kowloon Bay also has an Ikea and some other furniture shops, there are a couple of smaller ones in Prince Edward too and on side streets for mostly cheaper stuff. Mong Kok is good for electronics and about ten minutes walk away.

There's a bit of exercise equipment in Nam Cheong park, I don't use a separate gym though.