what to bring...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what to bring...

so- i've been told i'm allowed to ship over stuff on a container- been told it's 10x20ft....

i'm a single male- a lot of my furniture/tv's/electronics i'm lending long term to my parents/storing at their house.

so now i'm really unsure what to ship over....

clothes- going to being a suitcase with all my 'need to wear immidiately' stuff...the rest is going in boxes.

other than that- i think i have about one box worth of books/misc crap.

so what else should i bring? i'd like to bring my queen sized platform bed/matress but i'm worried that the apartment i find won't have the space for it. sofa= way too big for a hong kong apartment- (5 pc leather sectional)

i was going to ship over my motorcycle, but of course i sold it before realizing that i'd be able to ship it out there.

so other than the above mentioned items, is there something i'm missing? seems to be a waste that i'll be given the op to ship a lot more and won't be...

Take your electronics and some of your furniture... take your homewares, take your bed and linens...

Aside from the 5 piece sofa and big furniture, why would you want to leave everything back home and have to buy new stuff here if you can fit it all in your container? Unless of course all the electronics are 110v!

I'm with ontheroad. Why store things and then come here and buy them? Save your money and ship some stuff.
    You can find apartments big enough for your bed, although probably not the sofa.
    Also consider shipping any branded consumer food/toiletry items you think you can't live without. You can find most things here, but not everything and they'll cost more.

I'd be happy to give you a shopping list if you have space left over. I'd be buying comfort food, rare beer, underwear, socks, shoes, etc. Stuff I can't get in my size/style here.

You may want to check with your company - because they may give you the money if you don't need the space! Mine did.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad:
    Take your electronics and some of your furniture... take your homewares, take your bed and linens...

Aside from the 5 piece sofa and big furniture, why would you want to leave everything back home and have to buy new stuff here if you can fit it all in your container? Unless of course all the electronics are 110v!

my home theater/plasma= i don't think i can use over there?

other than that, i have a few dressers/bed/mattress that i guess i could ship over? probably take all my clothing/motorcycle leathers/helmets etc...though i might not even ride there!!!

time to rethink this!

Dinning table, study table, tv cabinet, Kitchen equipment, Lamps , bed , mattress , closets ,TV , DVD, house decorations Things like thats - if you have space sure! - we didnt have a container shipment from the company all we get is 60 kilos of whatever we can take so we sold everything back home and setting up the apartment here send us back around 60k and thats took us about 3 months to furnished our tiny apartment on the other hand our good friends bring absolutely everything, they got their big house up and running within a week throw a party and everything!

PS. LotS of walking and time spent looking for the right furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatekisses:
    Dinning table, study table, tv cabinet, Kitchen equipment, Lamps , bed , mattress , closets ,TV , DVD, house decorations Things like thats.
    keep in mind i'm moving from a 2 bdrm nyc apartment- (and i'm a single bachelor)

no dining table, no study table, tv table- yes, but it's ugly so i'm kind of glad to be getting rid of it.

kitchen items- not really one to cook- love to eat out/no choice due to work

bed/mattress/closet= could do.

tv= plasmas that i don't believe will work over there- plus, i feel like donating mine to my parents (great son that i am!)

Plasmas don't travel so well anyway, so you're better off not taking it with you.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad:
    Plasmas don't travel so well anyway, so you're better off not taking it with you.
    maybe i should find some illegals to throw in the container and ship them over with my goods =)

(j/k obviously!)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast