Advise on salary

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Hamton, Mat, gilleshk and jimbo - thank you guys for your kind advice. They were really helpful.

My rental budget is around HKD 12K pm and I hope to find a decent studio / 1 BHK for this amount in Quarry bay

Slightly deviating frm the current topic - I am getting a relocation allowance which includes a 500 cubic feet container + insurance to bring in my personal belongings to HK.

I am wondering what all items to bring into HK via container. Can someone pls advise whether partments in HK (especially those in Quarry Bay area) usually come with such essentials as AC, fridge, microwave, washing machine, dryer etc.? Right now I am planning to bring in stuffs like bookshelf, home theatre, couch, carpet, dining table, lamp shades and other small stuffs but I am not to sure whether or not to bring my fridge and washing machine along to HK.

Many thanks,
    Radoslaw

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I also work in consulting but have about 20 yrs experience and your salary is about 40% of mine with similar benefits so it sounds about right to me from what I know of what our junior staff get paid.
    Thanks MovingIn07 for your advice.

cheers,
    Radoslaw

Quote Originally Posted by radoslaw:
    My rental budget is around HKD 12K pm and I hope to find a decent studio / 1 BHK for this amount in Quarry bay
    You'll have absolutely no problem getting a nice apartment in the Quarry Bay area for $12k. One bed places are a little rare, but you could easily get one for $10k... for $12k it's a piece of cake. If you wanted to spend your entire budget, you could look at places around the $13-14k range and knock them down a couple of grand, probably get a fairly nice, modern, very well located 650-700sq ft apartment for $10-12k.

If you're in Hong Kong, go to the areas just outside Quarry Bay or Tai Koo Shing MTR, there are at least half a dozen estate agents by each. They'll set you up with a place pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by radoslaw:
    Can someone pls advise whether partments in HK (especially those in Quarry Bay area) usually come with such essentials as AC, fridge, microwave, washing machine, dryer etc.?
    Depends if they're semi or fully furnished (or rarely, not at all furnished).

Semi-furnished (most common) come with washing machines usually, fridges, oven top (not a baking oven), couches usually, beds (or at least bed frames), wardrobes, maybe more (table, chairs).

Fully furnished apartments have pretty much everything, including TVs, etc.

Normally I'd say it's not worth the hassle of bringing stuff over from Europe, but if the company are paying for the container you may as well...

Oh, bare in mind that your 500sq ft container might be almost the size of your apartment So if you fill it all, you'll have no where to put it.

Edit - oops, my bad, CUBIC feet. Still, principle still applies sort of

Frankly, unless you have things of particular value, I would get rid of most of your stuff and get what you need here. As said before, you run the risk of having to choose an apartment that will fit your furniture and the hassle of moving stuff isn't worth it I think.

If you have a house moving into another house and you have things of great value, there's a point but otherwise I wouldn't bother with too much. There are so many people moving all the time that you can purchase very new things at a fraction of cost on either this site or asiaxpat

I found this thread v good. Thankyou anyone who contributed!