Like Tree36Likes

Comparison of HK neighbourhoods

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Comparison of HK neighbourhoods

Hi all. I'm looking forward to a possible move to HK sometime. I've taken a look at a number of neighbourhoods:

-New Territories north: Tuen Men, Yuen Lang, Lok Ma Chau, Fanling, Sha Tau Kok
    -New Territories southwest: Ma Wan Island, Discovery Bay, South Lantau
    -New Terrorities middle: Kwai Chung, Tsuen Wan, Tai Wai, Fo Tan, Mia Liu Shiu, Ma On Shan
    -New Territories southeast: Tsueng Kwan O, Clear Water Bay
    -Kowloon: Chueng Sha Wan, Diamond Hill, Mong Kok, Hung Hom, Kowloon Bay, Lai Chi Kok, Lam Tin, Yau Tong
    -HK Island north: Pok Lu Fam, Kennedy Town, Shueng Wan, Wan Chai, Causeway Bay/Tin Hau, Happy Valley/Tai Hang, North Point/Quarry Bay, Shau Kei Wan, Chai Wan, Tai Koo Shing
    -HK Island south: Aberdeen, Ap Lei Chau, Deep Water Bay, Repulse Bay, Chung Hom Hok, Stanley, Tai Tam

I would like to get a description of each area, regarding these things in particular:

-Livelyhood, i.e. is the area lively or somewhat quiet/suburban
    -Is the area busy and prone to traffic jams
    -Does the area have lots of shops and restaurants including malls
    -Good or bad transport connections
    -Does the area 'feel' more Asian/Chinese or more British/European
    -Does the area have a mostly Chinese population or are there a large number of foreigners
    -Crime levels
    -Is it expensive or cheap to live in

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hkexpat123:
    Hi all. I'm looking forward to a possible move to HK sometime. I've taken a look at a number of neighbourhoods:

-New Terrorities middle: Kwai Chung, Tsuen Wan, Tai Wai, Fo Tan, Mia Liu Shiu, Ma On Shan
    -Kowloon: Chueng Sha Wan, Diamond Hill, Mong Kok, Hung Hom, Kowloon Bay, Lai Chi Kok, Lam Tin, Yau Tong
    -HK Island north: Pok Lu Fam, Kennedy Town, Shueng Wan, Wan Chai, Causeway Bay/Tin Hau, Happy Valley/Tai Hang, North Point/Quarry Bay, Shau Kei Wan, Chai Wan, Tai Koo Shing
    -HK Island south: Aberdeen, Ap Lei Chau, Deep Water Bay, Repulse Bay, Chung Hom Hok, Stanley, Tai Tam

I would like to get a description of each area, regarding these things in particular:

-Does the area have a mostly Chinese population or are there a large number of foreigners
    -Crime levels

Thanks!
    Hello,

Before I provide you with the requested information, I will need to know the following:

(a) age/ethnicity
    (b) profession
    (c) gender
    (d) date of birth
    (e) work experience
    (f) username/password to all social media accounts
    (g) income
    (h) a description of yourself in less than 1,000 words

Thanks!
    Kfay, Dankleness and Timbuktuhk like this.

I would like to get a description of each area, regarding these things!
    There was a poster around here talking about writing a book on the last few days. I think he might be able to help as the answer to this would make a good chapter.
    papaya likes this.

This should answer all your questions:

by the lovely Miss O'Kistic

Last edited by kimwy66; 16-01-2014 at 07:04 AM.

My opinion on the matter is this: choose a place to live based on proximity to work or other things you like to do. I find Hong Kong very much the same from place to place ( with a few exceptions like Sai Kung,DB). You will have the same malls, McDonalds, noodle shops, KFC, maxims, 7-11 etc. etc.

Not a big difference between Tuen Mun, Sheung Shui, Sha Tin, Kowloon etc

Choose a location that is convenient for your lifestyle so you don't spend half of your day fighting people on public transport. I am amazed at how many of my co workers live an hour or more away from work ( though many have extended families reasons for that)

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    My opinion on the matter is this: choose a place to live based on proximity to work or other things you like to do. I find Hong Kong very much the same from place to place ( with a few exceptions like Sai Kung,DB). You will have the same malls, McDonalds, noodle shops, KFC, maxims, 7-11 etc. etc.

Not a big difference between Tuen Mun, Sheung Shui, Sha Tin, Kowloon etc

Choose a location that is convenient for your lifestyle so you don't spend half of your day fighting people on public transport. I am amazed at how many of my co workers live an hour or more away from work ( though many have extended families reasons for that)
    I see major differences betwee Kowloon Tong for example and Tin Sui Wai.

It is day and night.

OP key thins will be.

how much u make
    how much u wanna pay
    how long u wanna commute
    family (ie kids) and school

Based on this we can provide more info

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

-Crime levels

Thanks!
    Is this research for that book of yours?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Yes and no

Yes and no

Yes and no

Yes and no, but generally yes

Racist!

Racist!

-Crime levels
    Hong Kong is one of the safest places when it comes to crime, unless you are a triad member or making a movie

Yes and no

Quote Originally Posted by chris_yang22:
    Hello,

Before I provide you with the requested information, I will need to know the following:

(a) age/ethnicity
    (b) profession
    (c) gender
    (d) date of birth
    (e) work experience
    (f) username/password to all social media accounts
    (g) income
    (h) a description of yourself in less than 1,000 words

Thanks!
    Plus a CV, records of academic transcripts and a qualitative and quantitative comparison between all tertiary institutions in your city of residence including public transport links and car parking availability.

Seriously, hkexpat, you are asking for a vast amount of information here and you are providing zero information for other people to even try to narrow down what might be relevant to your own circumstances. Read the post back to yourself as an observer and you'll probably get an idea of why you're not getting hugely informative replies.

Or at least narrow down your scope to two or three plausible places instead of covering the entire breadth of the SAR. What did you do- just copy and past a list of all the districts in the SAR? If you are going to consider living in Lai Chi Kok, you are not going to be have Repulse Bay as a plausible option.
    Last edited by jgl; 16-01-2014 at 10:19 AM.
    Mat likes this.

Obviously not done much research if he was trying to find expat neighbourhoods. I see no mention of Mid-Levels, The Peak, Tai Kok Tsui, Kowloon Station or Sai Kung let alone the dodgy Gold coast.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast