Like Tree12Likes

5k HKD a Month in Hongkong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    u could 'survive' i suppose.. go eat cha siu in sham shui po for about HK$22

if u play guitar u could go an busk for a few dollar$$ cos its gonna be tight... not much fun to be had...
    From what i've gathered here, i'm guessing thats its gonna be real tough. gawd.. thats to0 bad i've got no talents to earn a few quick bucks.

Give up cigarettes.
    Don't bother with phone or internet, there are plenty of places you can find free internet in HK
    How far away is your "serviced apartment" from work (I agree, more likely to be a dorm!)? You'll need to budget for the travel cost.
    And you'll live on cheap local rice/noodle meals. No booze.
    Better either work or the time or have a hobby that's free like hiking or sleeping lol.
    You may have a blast or may hate the place.
    If you REALLY get a serviced apartment, you could try getting a roommate to increase your income!!!

I pay HK100 per month for Internet. But you will need a HKID, or someone with one, to obtain this rate. Even without cigs or alcohol it's hard for a western person to survive here under HK100 per day. If you speak canto and can eat the food 3x daily, you can reduce those costs. Best bet for lunch is an Indian buffet and all you can eat for about HK100 per meal.

>> As for accommodation its a serviced apartment ( I'll be staying alone ).

Your serviced apartment might come with some sort of internet access.

>> Best bet for lunch is an Indian buffet and all you can eat for about HK100 per meal.

Even cheaper... Chungking Mansions is a good option for cheap "ethnic" food, if you don't speak canto.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    I pay HK100 per month for Internet. But you will need a HKID, or someone with one, to obtain this rate.
    More info plz

Its doable. But i would recommend it. Your free time will consist of either doing something for free or staying home. If you make friends and they go out, either you wont join them or your budget will be gone quickly. My advice would be dont. But as others have said its doable.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

I spend 3.5 to 4k a month without rent.
    Dont smoke, do eat mostly at home, very low transport cost.
    But if you are under 35-40 you need to eat more, want excitement, you judge for yourself

It is very doable if you give up 'sleeping under roofed premises'.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    It is very doable if you give up 'sleeping under roofed premises'.
    He/She has free accommodation provided by the employer as stated in the 1st post.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast