Like Tree12Likes

5k HKD a Month in Hongkong

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If you smoke a pack a day at $50 a pop (assuming it doesn't go up after the Budget), you'll be spending nearly a third of your money on cigarettes. That's crazy.

And what if the accommodation does not permit smoking? Smoking is banned in public/work places so it's possible...

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    He/She has free accommodation provided by the employer as stated in the 1st post.
    Ok then.... 5000/30 = 167 a day

Smoking we give up right away anyway, that will not come in.

0 Transport (walk, otherwise 20/day)
    30 Lunch (low end)
    30 Breakfast and dinner (diy)
    3 Cheap phone plan with unlimited internet
    10 home internet (plus setup fee)

You can even save 80-100 a day!
    wtbhotia likes this.

OP, consider also to the cost of seeing a doctor if you ever become ill. You're looking at 200-300 a pop, even if your employer allows you to claim it back, you'd still need to pay up front first.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    OP, consider also to the cost of seeing a doctor if you ever become ill. You're looking at 200-300 a pop, even if your employer allows you to claim it back, you'd still need to pay up front first.
    A public doctor costs $100 per visit. Even if you need to go to hospital the charges are $100 per night. This is standard for anyone with HKID.

Unlimited mobile internet SIM card that allows unlimited tethering of your laptop to your phone costs $60+$12 tunnel charge= HK$72 per month total for both your phone and laptop and includes 2500 minutes per month of voice calls but no SMS (you can use whatsapp for free to replace SMS). This is New World Mobility plan and speed is capped at 384kbps but unlimited usage and tethering officially allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    A public doctor costs $100 per visit. Even if you need to go to hospital the charges are $100 per night. This is standard for anyone with HKID.
    Proplus is probably talking about visiting private GP doctors, they cost HK$200 upwards in my experience depending on location, patient needs to pay up front then depending on employer insurance, they can claim certain amount back like in our case we get HK$180 back.

Sure I visit private GP's for a lot more too, but if you are on a budget of HK$5k a month there is the option of public health care which the OP is entitled too immediately upon arrival in HK as long as he applies for a HKID. I believe public healthcare is very good in HK and covers all the important stuff and you never pay more than $100, but maybe you have to queue up for hours and you dont get a flashy waiting room to sit. Even ambulances are free or cheap for all HKID holders which is why they get abused quite a lot by people with just a common cold who need to visit the doctor, an ambulance is cheaper than taking a bloody taxi!

I know learning to cook by yourself is not the easiest thing to do, but if you just learn to cook noodles or buy a rice cooker for 150 hkd(?) and fry some eggs with vegetables, you will have covered dinner and won't need to conquer the huge disgust that comes with eating cup noodles for more than a few nights

You can get meals from the hot food sections from some supermarket, say $12-15 for just fried noodles/rice, $20 for boiled rice with meat, $35 for half a chicken etc so you can eat incredibly cheaply if you like chinese food....also street stalls selling similarly oily/salty/fatty foods.
    BUT eating like this everyday could take its toll on you, I know for me, if I ate like for for 1 week, I would feel gross & get brain fog!

My first advice, would be to quit smoking your budget does not allow for it & it's a stupid habit anyway.

Smoking is terrible but -so- easy to pick up in Shanghai when they cost around 6-8HKD for zhong nan hai and everyone you know is going out clubbing, drinking and smoking. =}

HK is not cheap enough but maybe you can smuggle some illegal ones into HK and risk jail time or whatever the fine is!!

Eventhough it is only a small amount everytime, I do find buying drinks relatively expensive. It'll be getting warmer soon, and one needs to replenish their fluids a lot. I find constantly popping into a 7-11 to buy a drink can mount up. When I was small, my mother used to boil the kettle, let it cool down before bottling it to put in the fridge or making other drinks, I found it bothersome and didn't understand the reason behind it. I guess that's one way of saving a few cents.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast