Like Tree12Likes

5k HKD a Month in Hongkong

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Attachment 46822
    There's something called a water bottle. The great thing about this invention is that you can reuse it, so you don't have to 1. waste money at 7-11 buying drinks, 2. create plastic waste that will sit in a landfill for 500+ years just so you can have a little thirst quencher. Usually, all kinds of offices or what not will have access to filtered water. Keep the bottle on hand during the day so you always have something to drink. If you like things like Pocari Sweat, then you can buy Nunn tablets and add them to your water.

To the OP -- really, HK is already quite polluted, and people are crammed together. Please consider this a good opportunity to try to quit smoking -- HK doesn't need anymore smoke!
    Not all workplaces in HK will have water machines, and I've seen some employers being a right bitch about the amount of water he has to buy that's consumed by the staff.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Do you mean that there are lots of Ghanaians living there? Can you get Ghanaian food? Jollof rice? Kenkey?
    'Ghana' was a joke. No idea what their nationality is. Hai Tan St. and the one next to it has all the 2nd hand printer, TV, A/C etc. shops. Due to the international clientele there are some interesting small food outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    'Ghana' was a joke. No idea what their nationality is. Hai Tan St. and the one next to it has all the 2nd hand printer, TV, A/C etc. shops. Due to the international clientele there are some interesting small food outlets.
    Ah ok. Sounds like they might actually be Ghanaians from what Jimbo wrote. I have quite a few Ghanaian friends back in London so I was hoping for an food/culture fix to stop me missing them as much.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Nigerians mainly, maybe a few Ghanaians
    Last edited by jimbo; 30-01-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Ah ok. Sounds like they might actually be Ghanaians from what Jimbo wrote. I have quite a few Ghanaian friends back in London so I was hoping for an food/culture fix to stop me missing them as much.
    Maybe Nigerians... no idea. Not sure there are African food places, but a few Pakistan ones.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Nigerians mainly, maybe a few Ghanaians
    That makes more sense. Cheers Jimbo.

You'll definitely see ghanaians shopping in sham shui po.

There used to be a ghanaian restaurant in chungking but it closed last year

I once ate in an African place in chungking mansions.

I sat next to a friendly Nigerian guy who was eating the biggest plate of food I've ever seen. When he asked where I'm from and I said England, he proceeded to take out his wallet and flick through an assortment of banknotes from all over the world. Finally he found a bundle of £50 notes.

"Loooook, I am from England too!" He shouted with a massive smile on his face.

So bibbju, if you want to want some African food, you could try chungking, but prepare for some excitement!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    So bibbju, if you want to want some African food, you could try chungking, but prepare for some excitement!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Ha ha. No worries. I have quite a few Nigerian friends too. I used to mix in "West African circles" for quite a few years when I lived in London so I'm used to a slightly bonkers lifestyle lol. Like being asked to a party and when you say yes, being told they'll send a "driver" to pick me up at 3am. Er, ok guys. Crashing at a friend's house and discovering I can't have a shower because the bath is full of kenkey fermenting. The usual stuff lol. Ah I miss those days. Never a dull moment :-)
    Natfixit likes this.

I like how this thread has turned into a sort of game on how to best maximize living on 5K HKD a month. It's a huge contrast to some of the threads and posts from people about how they think their 30k-40k monthly rent is cheap :P

z754103 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast